cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Calling and 4G not available on Tariff?

r1ch
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hello,

I am moving to a new property where there is no signal so after looking at options to get around this I found out about WiFi and 4G calling which is perfect.

I had a 20 month old o2 contract and a Oneplus 3T which wasn't supported so after a bit of browsing went to Carphone Warehouse and upgraded to a Samsung S9 on their unlimited minutes, texts and 16GB of data tariff after checking the phone would support it which they assured me it would (and after doing some research confirmed this). I 'added' WiFi and 4G calling via My o2 but noticed the next day it was still there as an option to add rather than saying I had it. Suffice to say nothing on my phone after looking in all the recommended places.

I phoned o2 and the nice woman I spoke to advised that it wasn't available on my tariff as they had tried to accept it on their end several times but it kept saying not available on this tariff. I found this odd as it was a brand new tariff (o2 unlimted) and they told me to go back to Carphone Warehouse as they should be able to see what tariff's support this feature although after enquiring apparently myself as a customer wouldn't be able to see this if i had ordered online etc which I found odd.

After going back to CPW they also advised this was odd and didn't make sense and rang o2 on my behalf where after confirming my details the lady told the CPW rep that it was enabled and would take up to 24 hours to activate but to speed up the process restart my phone every 2 hours if possible. Now I am about an hour away from the full 24 hours but after restarting my phone numerous times nothing new is showing. I have followed the procedures here https://www.o2.co.uk/business/support/network-support/wifi-and-4g-calling#Samsung-set-up and nothing, no updates available etc it could be that I need to wait the full 24 hours admittedly but I don't think this is the issue, I think that them enabling it over the phone came back with the same error etc

Does anyone have any steps on how to proceed to get this sorted? The only reason I upgraded was that I NEED this feature and I don't really think CPW are at fault here.

Any help appreciated.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Great information @r1ch as we haven't encountered a spend cap causing problems before thumbsup

Message 21 of 26

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Will there ever be a day when 2 of O2's systems work together?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 22 of 26

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Will there ever be a day when 2 of O2's systems work together?

Not when there is a y in the day!

Message 23 of 26

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Not while they have more than 1...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 24 of 26

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Thanks a lot for updating us @r1ch, I'm glad to hear it's all sorted for you now! I'll make sure to pass on the feedback on your whole experience with this to the Business, and if you need anything else give us a shout slight_smile

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 25 of 26

r1ch
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I thought I would just update this thread as I am now planning on moving on from o2.

Unfortunately, 2 years later they still have not implemented texting over Wi-Fi. They have said they plan to add it well over a year ago and still nothing. I have been informed Sky has Wi-Fi calling and texting which surprises me as they also use the o2 network. There was an update where o2 said that it was difficult to implement a while ago but so many networks have it now including companies on their own network who also have it that it's hard not believe that o2 just don't care.

Wi-Fi calling has been working pretty well. There are some issues if I leave my house and comeback but I can't say whether this is an o2 issue or a phone issue. But after many years with o2, I was originally with them when they where BT and then split off but in this day and age there are certain services that are required and should be considered a minimum but o2 seem to have no interest in fufilling these juding by empty promises.

Sorry to come on strong, I appreciate the community but some things just can't be escapd considering so many services send text verification nowadays and when you have no signal it's a nightmare.

Message 26 of 26