Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Calling abroad

Liam548
Level 1: Joiner
  • 10 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Why is this not apparantly allowed to work? I see zero difference if you are abroad calling on wifi to being in the UK. The cynic in me thinks its to generate extra income for O2 on travel bolt ons etc

Surely from a customers point of view being anywhere in the world and able to call people as you could at home through wi fi out of your allowance is a good thing..!?

If you dont turn your network on aborad only wifi it could still work I assume?

thanks

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144138 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions

@Liam548 

It used to work abroad when we had Tugo but that was stopped and probably as you say, because of lost revenue.

No matter what you try now, it will not work outside of the UK.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 4

Liam548
Level 1: Joiner
  • 10 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yes I used to use TUGo.  

I just cant see the justification for now allowing it to work, wi fi is wi fi and its not costing o2 anymore. 

People will simply bypass their network with apps like duo and whatsapp and skype.

Shame really

Message 3 of 4

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10140 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 2999 Solutions

@Liam548

There are few reasons all technical to not getting to work....

Latency - OK in some of the EU, rest of the world back to the UK can be dire and impacts performance, and for voice you normally use QOS (quality of Service Markers, this will be the main one.
Packet Loss across the wider Internet, if ever you have done packet traces across the internet, you drop packets left, right and centre, again this affects voice quality.

Wifi Speeds are only one part of the equation:

wifi + local network + global peering networks+uk and back = VOIP issues. 

There are many more, so from a Tech point of view i can see why they dropped.

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 4 of 4