cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi/4G Calling on Pixel 2/OnePlus 5T?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Are O2 WiFi Calling and 4G Calling supported on the Google Pixel 2 and OnePlus 5T?

According to the page at https://www.o2.co.uk/connectivity/wifi-and-4g-calling -

• "Many" of your devices are supported.
  • The pop-up dialogue box only cites handsets from Apple, Samsung and Sony as compatible.
  • Text says: "*For Android devices, Wifi and 4G Calling will only work on devices using O2 firmware. To learn more and check if your device is compatible click here. The device firmware is essentially the software that makes your device turn on and run. Sometimes there are different version of firmware for the same device."
  • Page at https://www.o2.co.uk/business/support/network-support/wifi-and-4g-calling echos this.

However, I just chatted with an O2 online representative to told me: "It will work. Don'y worry about this." Given a) what I observed in O2's online documentation and b) the brusk nature of this interaction, I am inclined to wonder whether it was simply salesmanship.

What is the real story?

Does O2 give these devices with own firmware and locked? One would expect them, of all devices, to be clean.

Thank-you.

[personal information removed]

Message 1 of 16
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Currently only these devices are supported @Anonymous

• iPhone X, iPhone 8 Plus, 8, 7 Plus, 7, 6s Plus, 6s, 6 Plus, 6, SE
  • Samsung Galaxy S8, S8 Plus, Note8, S7, S7 edge and J3 2017
  • Sony Xperia XZ Premium, Xperia XZ1, Xperia XZ1 Compact

Though as said above by @MI5 more devices are being added and we are hoping for an updated list soon?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

MI5
  • 143411 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
All I can tell you is that there are now some devices that will run wifi calling that do not have o2 firmware on them.
We have had this confirmed by customers with a Samsung S6 and an S7, so cannot say if 5T will work yet, but all indications are that if it doesn't, it will soon.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Currently only these devices are supported @Anonymous

• iPhone X, iPhone 8 Plus, 8, 7 Plus, 7, 6s Plus, 6s, 6 Plus, 6, SE
  • Samsung Galaxy S8, S8 Plus, Note8, S7, S7 edge and J3 2017
  • Sony Xperia XZ Premium, Xperia XZ1, Xperia XZ1 Compact

Though as said above by @MI5 more devices are being added and we are hoping for an updated list soon?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a Pixel 2 on order.

It was either that oe OnePlus 5T.

Lack of O2 WiFi Calling or 4G Calling support for either is now causing me to rethink.

Message 4 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a Pixel 2 on order.

It was either that oe OnePlus 5T.

Lack of O2 WiFi Calling or 4G Calling support for either is now causing me to rethink.

You could check if they are supported on EE, Three or Vodafone @Anonymous...Bit of a faff changing, though it depends how important they are to you immediately...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 16

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Even if you get wifi calling with o2 at present texts aren't supported. 

Message 6 of 16

Matt0801
Level 3: Thinker
  • 19 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Google are rolling out the January 2018 security patch now but there is a variant specifically for O2-UK devices this time round. Perhaps it's to enable these services on the Pixel phones.

If not, there's always Allo and Duo which are great apps.

Google Pixel 3 XL, Android Q beta 4
Message 7 of 16

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Matt0801 wrote:

Google are rolling out the January 2018 security patch now but there is a variant specifically for O2-UK devices this time round. Perhaps it's to enable these services on the Pixel phones.

If not, there's always Allo and Duo which are great apps.

Fingers crossed then....

The apps will be dependent on others having the same apps presumably? 

Message 8 of 16

Matt0801
Level 3: Thinker
  • 19 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Yes, that's correct. I've successfully managed to uninstall WhatsApp now as virtually all my contacts have moved to Allo.
Google Pixel 3 XL, Android Q beta 4
Message 9 of 16

theterminator30
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Sorry to revive this thread. On the latest OB6 I enabled 4g/WiFi calling on my account and enabled the flags in the phone app for VoWiFi and VoLTE on my 5t.

I now have the VoWiFi icon showing in my notification bar. I'm not sure if VoLTE works yet as I have only just enabled it
Message 10 of 16