Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Anonymous

Why wont O2 supply unlock code...

Hi

I have been an O2 PAYG mobile customer for a number of years now, and also have the top O2 home broadband. I have purchased a brand new LG Viewty KU990 from a reputable source as O2's was to expensive. The phone is locked to O2 and I want it unlocked. I am not planning on moving to another network, I am staying on O2. I want to reflash the phone to update it and reset it back as LG intended when it was made.

I telephoned O2 customer services this morning to ask would they help. After spending 40 minutes on hold at 10p per minute I was told the only reason you want the phone unlocked is to move to another network. I explained this was not the case at all, the software such as themes in the phone are rubbish and want to update it. I am on home broadband which is subsidised as I am a regular top up customer. So why would I want to double that price. This seemed to fall on deaf ears and they were of no help at all. He said they could do it but would have to send the phone in by post and pay the £15 charge. Why when I can get it done on ebay remote unlock for less than £10 and I would not have to pay the registered post charge.

Seems that even though I own the phone and paid for it myself, didnt get it free from O2 that there help on this matter is useless. Can anyone, or even the O2 tech guy thats reading this explain that my phone is not subsidised by the network, its mine and why I still have to abide by the 12 month minimum rule... Or does anyone know better...???

Thanks, sorry for the whinge, I just find it hard to understand why I still am bound by the rules even tho I am not under contract...

Madness prevails yet again..

Dal
Highlighted
Anonymous

You may not have got it for free but if it is locked then your phone will still be subsidised. In order to get the code, firstly, you have to have used the phone itself (not the sim) on O2 for 12 months first. Only then can you get the code by paying £15
Highlighted
Anonymous

You don't need to have it unlocked in order to debrand it. So there is nothing to worry about if you do genuinely wish to stay with O2. Its also a flat charge of 25p to call customer services.
Highlighted
Anonymous

You don't need to have it unlocked in order to debrand it. So there is nothing to worry about if you do genuinely wish to stay with O2. Its also a flat charge of 25p to call customer services.

On mosts sites that assist in re-flashing files they all state to ensure the phone is unlocked first. If you dont then it will remain locked after the flash to the network originally locked to and will not unlock. Is this correct?. I have even asked LG and they say it would be better to unlock first.

Also, I have no intention of leaving O2 but having purchased the phone it is mine to do with as I wish. I am not aware of any laws that say I must not mess with the software. I understand this would break my guarantee and warranty but again thats my choice to make not that of the locked network. The phone was not supplied by O2 nor would I buy one direct from any network. There are plenty of unlockers on eBay and will be using there services very soon.

So thanks guys for the advice, I was just annoyed at the fact of been with O2 since they were Cellnet in fact about 20 years. You'd think after that long they may have been a little more understanding....!!!!

Dal
Highlighted
Anonymous

I was just annoyed at the fact of been with O2 since they were Cellnet in fact about 20 years. You'd think after that long they may have been a little more understanding....!!!!

Dal

Nope - you are just one of 19 million Smiley Wink