Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's
Highlighted
Anonymous

Why so expensive?

I have a Company phone on O2 and have always had great service, but when my wife's Orange contract came up for renewal, I was keen to convert her, particularly as the Orange signal is pretty poor at our home.
I looked around for a basic smartphone for her with fairly basic spec.
300 minutes talk
100 texts
200 MB Internet use per month.
The phone I chose was nothing special - an HTC WIldfire SPrices I found were
£15.32 with TMobile through buymobilephones.net
£18 direct from 3 Mobile
But the price from O2 for the same thing is £32 - more than twice the cheapest.
I phoned their help number, as I have been always encouraged to push for the best deal, but they simply said this price is what it is and is not negotiable.
How do they stay in business with such inflexibility? Smiley Sad
Highlighted
Topics: 24
Kudos: 275
Solutions: 39

Re: Why so expensive?

er, those figures don't add up: its either 100MB, 500MB or 1GB on data but I get the point of its still the expensive whatever phone you get. Didn't say what term of contract though.
However, the regulars will say you should go for the best deal and forget about anything regarding loyalty. o2 are particulary bad at deals, at least the last couple of years its been like that. But for some bizarre reason, it may change and suddenly its a great deal. If you're still keen on o2, check around the weekends for offers or wait a short time to see if the new month brings anything better.
In your case, you will be limited so you don't have much choice other than Vodafone so the trade-off is the expense.
BTW, if you can do without the phone go sim only (even PAYG is looking better nowadays) and buy a phone sim free. More expensive initially but better in the long term.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Thanks for the advise that things do change. I particularly wanted O2, as this is by far the best signal we can get - Orange is just rubbish here. With my business contract, there are a lot more friendly (bigger money I guess.
As for the data rates not adding up, these were just the minimum we would go for - 500MB or 1GB would be great. I'll keep my eyes open for any special offers, then we can jump when/if they appear.
I will also look at buying a phone and getting a SIM only contract. GiffGaff use the O2 network - I don't know what people think of this, as we are not big users.
A lot to think about - thanks for the feedback.
Steve
Highlighted
Anonymous

Talk Mobile (carphone warehouse) use the o2 network. Also you may find that they give better o2 deals than o2!! certainly a better choice of handsets
Highlighted
Anonymous

Many thanks Anoni,
Talkmobile's price is £18 for what I want, compared to the £32 charged by O2.
But unfortunately their web site says that they use the Vodafone network, rather than O2, which is not good where I live.
The search goes on......
Highlighted
Topics: 247
Solutions: 1,614

GiffGaff has to be a good deal, half the price and buy your own sim free phone with the money you save.
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Highlighted
Anonymous

Many thanks Anoni,
Talkmobile's price is £18 for what I want, compared to the £32 charged by O2.
But unfortunately their web site says that they use the Vodafone network, rather than O2, which is not good where I live.
The search goes on......

That's what I thought. TalkMobile is Vodafone isn't it? Not O2?
Highlighted
Anonymous

So the best I can get so far is as follows.....
I buy the phone from EBuyer (unlocked) - spreading the cost over 24 months, then take out a GiffGaff package for just less minutes than I would have liked, and pay the extra if I overshoot the free limit.
Doing this, I recon I can get what I want for £19 per month equivalent, rather than £32 from O2 direct.
And this uses the O2 network, so I am still puzzled why they didn't want to take my money, rather than rob me.