cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is O2 the most expensive mobile service provider around?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been with O2 since BT cellnet, but over the last couple of years, I have gradually noticed that all other networks have much better deals around.

Could someone tell me what is so special about O2 that allows them to charge higher than other providers? Do they have better signal? Coverage? Customer service?

I am currently on the simplicity, with 5 months left on my contract, but able to upgrade for free any time, I have chosen to buy and iPhone 5 from apple instead, with the intention of trying out a few other networks when my 5 months run out.

I am not talking about 3rd party deal sites, simply searching on other major providers main site nets plans that are cheaper, gives more data, text, etc. If we use SIMS only plan as a way to measure the price of contracts, O2 is literally THE most expensive of the major mobile networks in the UK.

Could someone tell me, why they think O2 deserves to charge more? Because vaule wise, I do not see any point in staying with O2 any longer (not even a loyalty bouns). 

Before any O2 die hards start yelling "leave, more network for me" or "plenty of customers to replace you", please understand the reason I am posting this is because I still care, otherwise I would simply vote with my wallet, I am fairly sure there are plenty of network capacity left in O2, that the fact there is someone waiting to replace my "spot" appears an outlandish argument.

Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144319 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
I'm happy with 5" but I may try a 5.5" higher end one just to see how they compare.
Tbh the dual sim function is the biggest plus for me.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 31 of 37

jonsie
  • 93227 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
I'm happy with 5" but I may try a 5.5" higher end one just to see how they compare.
Tbh the dual sim function is the biggest plus for me.

....and me slight_smile

btw Mauy is also happy with that size LOL

Message 32 of 37

MI5
  • 144319 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
As long as the wife's happy I've got no worries 😛
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 33 of 37

jonsie
  • 93227 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

That was in 2012.....meanwhile at the time of writing my O2 6GB data with unlimited calls/texts simplicity tariff is cheaper than Tesco and as expected Vodafone too.

As for O2 MVNO's, GiffGaff and to a lesser degree Tesco regularly have their 4g speeds throttled down during busy periods to ensure O2 customers receive priority. Fair enough given "you get what you pay for!"

Unfortunately EE & Three's unreliable coverage renders their tariff prices at any level as 'false economy'. 

By the way, the speedy efficient way O2's UK customer service handled my recent number port and 4g issue is to be highly commended, keep up the good work! slight_smile

Message 35 of 37

MI5
  • 144319 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Good to hear all went well.

Currently using:
Message 36 of 37

Naima
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
The coverage is okay, I completely do not have signal sometimes; I travelled a few hours from my house and was left with no signal what’s so ever, and they routinely send me messages saying that my nearby signal post has problems - but “they’re doing their best to sort it right away”.
I would recommend going for the cheaper deals if you want to save money.
Message 37 of 37