cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is O2 the most expensive mobile service provider around?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been with O2 since BT cellnet, but over the last couple of years, I have gradually noticed that all other networks have much better deals around.

Could someone tell me what is so special about O2 that allows them to charge higher than other providers? Do they have better signal? Coverage? Customer service?

I am currently on the simplicity, with 5 months left on my contract, but able to upgrade for free any time, I have chosen to buy and iPhone 5 from apple instead, with the intention of trying out a few other networks when my 5 months run out.

I am not talking about 3rd party deal sites, simply searching on other major providers main site nets plans that are cheaper, gives more data, text, etc. If we use SIMS only plan as a way to measure the price of contracts, O2 is literally THE most expensive of the major mobile networks in the UK.

Could someone tell me, why they think O2 deserves to charge more? Because vaule wise, I do not see any point in staying with O2 any longer (not even a loyalty bouns). 

Before any O2 die hards start yelling "leave, more network for me" or "plenty of customers to replace you", please understand the reason I am posting this is because I still care, otherwise I would simply vote with my wallet, I am fairly sure there are plenty of network capacity left in O2, that the fact there is someone waiting to replace my "spot" appears an outlandish argument.

Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93235 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions
Message 21 of 37

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

@Curr946 wrote:

Hero tooshay folks, tooshay Hero

Fantastic

That would be Touché  wink

p.jpg

Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 22 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

I feel there is a lot of snobbery attached to the sentence 'cheap low budget phones'..

The Chinese are fast becoming a force to be reckoned with in the mobile phone market....as some senior members  will confirm,, as they own phones from China.

I bought a cheap Samsung Prime from Spain (about £140) I loaned it to someone who is used to top end  phones. He was extremely impressed (particularly with the camera)

I'm sorry.. I meant no snobbery by my own comment...

Don't get me wrong... I've seen some chinese ones that even on a low budget cost, wipe the floor with even my own S6 Edge in some tech wise, even if the capacity was lacking - which was the biggest let down.. but for the price.. it was still pretty awesome , and seeing as they look like "high end" market clones... even I was impressed with it's "face value".

I was simply going by my own experience with current UK market phones and general customer attitude towards them on network tariffs slight_smile

Message 23 of 37

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

Hey no problem @Anonymous. If honest I am no real expert on mobiles and take advice on buying all my phones from the guys on here who know a lot about them. I am looking to upgrade my Note 3 later this year (if I can bear to give it up)...As long as my new phone has a 5.7 screen display and is running android.....I will be happy.

It may be a low budget chinese model......or... it may be the Note 6 ..Happy Dance

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 24 of 37

MI5
  • 144356 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
I defy anyone to show me anything better than mine for £100!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 25 of 37

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
I defy anyone to show me anything better than mine for £100!

Of course you were one of the experts I was referring to....Bow tongue

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 26 of 37

MI5
  • 144356 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
I know wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 27 of 37

jonsie
  • 93235 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions

My only problem is that the Chinese phone is so much faster than the Note 4 but the screen is smaller. There again it's a second phone but there are options in the Chinese market to compete with the Note 5 and no doubt, the Note 6 when it's released. All at a fraction of the cost. I persuaded my son to go for a Chinese phone after he wrecked my S3 handmedown. €140 for the equivalent of a €700 big name phone with less specs. He's delighted with his purchase and the 5.7inch display, much better camera and better experience with a 3GB ram and 32GB  expandable storage.

Message 28 of 37

MI5
  • 144356 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
I'd never buy anything else now after trying a cheap one. Just imagine how good a more expensive one will be wink

Currently using:
Message 29 of 37

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

I will certainly need to get a list of those with 5.7 inch screens. I wont go any lower....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 30 of 37