cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which PAYG tariff for infrequent use?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

My parents are retired and I am about to give them my old Xperia S mobile phone which takes a micro sim.

The phone will probably be only used for emergencies while out and about or for the occasional call when they are away from their landline.

I will put a new PAYG sim in for them but I'm slightly confused with O2's tariffs! Maybe someone could explain?

There are 2 which might be suitable:

1. The Big Bundles sim is 'from £10 a month'.

2. The O2 Unlimited is 'from £15 a month'.

After the initial credit to activate the sim, how long is it before that credit expires?

The O2 Unlimited states, 'Plus when you top-up you keep your credit', but the Big Bundles does not.

Does this actually mean what it says? The credit on the O2 Unlimited will still be on the phone beyond a month? If so, how long does this credit last for before it expires

If I can remember correctly, when I was on PAYG (about 10 years ago), you had to make at least one call every 6 months to keep your credit and the phone number active, but this might have changed now?

Because the Big Bundles tariff does not state, 'when you top-up you keep your credit', does this mean the credit on that tariff does expire after a month?

To sum up, I do not want my parents to be forking out money every month when the phone is likely to be used infrequently. I need a sim which keeps its credit until the phone is used.

Which tariff would fulfil this roll?

Thank you for any help slight_smile

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122764 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions
Message 11 of 18

MI5
  • 144066 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Hi @Anonymous How did you get one with your phone in Europe? wink

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/International-Roaming-and-Whats-it-all-about/m-p/911304/highlight/true#M100901

Not too well, it seems......

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/International-Roaming-and-Whats-it-all-about/m-p/916468#M101829

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122764 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions
Message 13 of 18

MI5
  • 144066 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Much safer to gain experience with a PAYG Sim though wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for asking Cleoriff.   Very well on the whole, except that, as I mentioned on the other thread, when we arrived in Turkey I quite forgot that it is not in "Europe".   As a result I lost all my remaining credit in about 2 nanoseconds trying to send a couple of MMMs.

Still, as MI5 remarked, it was as well to learn that lesson on PAYG.

Message 15 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122764 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for asking Cleoriff.   Very well on the whole, except that, as I mentioned on the other thread, when we arrived in Turkey I quite forgot that it is not in "Europe".   As a result I lost all my remaining credit in about 2 nanoseconds trying to send a couple of MMMs.

Still, as MI5 remarked, it was as well to learn that lesson on PAYG.

Very true @Anonymous. We hear some real horror stories of people on contract.. who take less care than you did....Go to Spain...or France next Smiley Very Happy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 18

jonsie
  • 93149 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

Always, always  make sure you change the network selection to manual....

Message 17 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks very much MI5.   I will have a close look at that.

Message 18 of 18