cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which PAYG tariff for infrequent use?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

My parents are retired and I am about to give them my old Xperia S mobile phone which takes a micro sim.

The phone will probably be only used for emergencies while out and about or for the occasional call when they are away from their landline.

I will put a new PAYG sim in for them but I'm slightly confused with O2's tariffs! Maybe someone could explain?

There are 2 which might be suitable:

1. The Big Bundles sim is 'from £10 a month'.

2. The O2 Unlimited is 'from £15 a month'.

After the initial credit to activate the sim, how long is it before that credit expires?

The O2 Unlimited states, 'Plus when you top-up you keep your credit', but the Big Bundles does not.

Does this actually mean what it says? The credit on the O2 Unlimited will still be on the phone beyond a month? If so, how long does this credit last for before it expires

If I can remember correctly, when I was on PAYG (about 10 years ago), you had to make at least one call every 6 months to keep your credit and the phone number active, but this might have changed now?

Because the Big Bundles tariff does not state, 'when you top-up you keep your credit', does this mean the credit on that tariff does expire after a month?

To sum up, I do not want my parents to be forking out money every month when the phone is likely to be used infrequently. I need a sim which keeps its credit until the phone is used.

Which tariff would fulfil this roll?

Thank you for any help slight_smile

Message 1 of 18
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm on the big bundle. The allowances last for a month and your given an anniversary date. In this date the money is taken from your credit.

O2 Unlimited ; A Tariff where you get allowances and keep your top up credit. It (the credit) stays there until you use it and never expires.

To add : yes it's the same. As long as you top up or use the phone within 6 months the SIM card remains active.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm on the big bundle. The allowances last for a month and your given an anniversary date. In this date the money is taken from your credit.

O2 Unlimited ; A Tariff where you get allowances and keep your top up credit. It (the credit) stays there until you use it and never expires.

To add : yes it's the same. As long as you top up or use the phone within 6 months the SIM card remains active.
Message 2 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Any credit you apply on the Payg tariff never expires as long as the account remains active.

I would think the O2 Unlimited ; A Tariff where you get allowances and keep your top up credit would suffice.

slight_smile
Message 3 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi bandofbrothers,

Thanks for the reply slight_smile

Ok. So the O2 Unlimited seems like the best tariff, where the credit does not expire for a while but I imagine if the phone is not used for a very long time, the credit and phone number would expire?

What's the period of inactivity before any credit and/or the number expires? Do you have to make or receive a call within a certain time frame to keep your number and credit?

Or do both remain active for as long as the phone is turned on and connected to the O2 network?

Message 4 of 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144100 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
A chargeable call is required once every 6 months and a top up is required once every 999 days.
There are other options such as giffgaff which run on the O2 network that may work out cheaper for occasional use.
Make sure the mobile data option is OFF at all times or else the data will eat the credit on the phone.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

You have both answered my question! Thank you very much.

Message 6 of 18

MI5
  • 144100 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Happy to help slight_smile
Link to giffgaff if required or out of interest....
www.giffgaff.com
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
You're welcome.

Yes just to reiterate what I said in my reply the credit will remain on the account to use once the included allowances are used or will just sit there for your next anniversary date.

Take care.
Message 8 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

This thread is a year or so old, and it appears that O2 Unlimited is no longer available.   I have a Lumia 435 which I won in a raffle at my gandchildren's school fete!    It came with an International Sim.   This offers facilities which I am never likely to use and I would like to change to a tariff which allows me to make infrequent calls and texts, without paying £10 per month for a bundle which I will never make use of.   Is there any such tariff?

Thanks for any help.

Message 9 of 18

MI5
  • 144100 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
You need O2 basic but you need to call CS on 4445 to get switched to it.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 18