cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where has all my internet data gone?

Anonymous
Not applicable

My pay monthly charge was renewed last week, and I have been only using my 3G sometimes when I am out, as I use wifi at home.

I woke up this morning to find that all my data had been used up! I haven't downloaded anything big, and always use my 3G sparingly. I had my phone off in the night.

I also reiceived the "you are nearing your data limit" and "you've used up all your data" messages at the same time when I turned my phone on this morning! I wasn't even using my phone during the night!

Can someone please tell me what has happened here?

Is there a way I can view what I've used all my data on?

Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

It's too late for your data usage this month, but a good rule of thumb, if you only have a limited amount of data on your tariff, is to keep mobile data switched off if you don't need it. There are quite a few apps that run in the background, and will update without you knowing, if you have given that app permission to do so. Best thing to do is only update your apps over WiFi.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

What phone do you have? Some have a counter that breaks down usage.

Check phone data counter matches what is shown in my-o2 on the website

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Some phones switch from home wifi connection back to 3G when it's screen goes to sleep to conserve battery.

I'd suggest you call customer services to get clarification.

O2 Customer Services.
202 for Contract.

Pay monthly customers are not charged for going over their monthly allowance, but are throttled on speed instead.

A bolt on can be purchased which lasts a month through your Myo2.

Be aware tho that any amount gone over in your monthly data tariff would be deducted from the data bolt on purchased !
Message 3 of 14

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Something is obviously using your data when the phone is switched on, nothing can be used whilst it is off. When at home make sure your mobile data is switched off as some phones automatically switch to mobile data when the phone sleeps.

If you tell us what phone you have we can maybe point you in the right direction.

Message 4 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Also apps such as onavo helps to suggest what's been used and helps compress Data which may possibly make your allowance last longer.
Message 5 of 14

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

It's too late for your data usage this month, but a good rule of thumb, if you only have a limited amount of data on your tariff, is to keep mobile data switched off if you don't need it. There are quite a few apps that run in the background, and will update without you knowing, if you have given that app permission to do so. Best thing to do is only update your apps over WiFi.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's the application "Briefings". Its nothing to do with 02 ,but all to do with Samsung not testing their products properly. It's a widget that needs to be disabled instantly.

How do I know this. I've just been through this with o2  and looked under data usuage for 3 days and it said 799mb

You cannot uninstall it but you can disable it. as of today and my extreme rant at them about this the staff are now aware  that there is a massive problem, but don't expect them to refund your data... they won't!!

Message 7 of 14

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
There is no indication that JC11 is using a Samsung phone, but nonetheless a good tip and one to look out for on any Samsung phones...
Worth noting that any apps that provide live feeds and auto updates can consume huge amounts of data and it doesn't necessarily mean the app is badly designed. Most have an option to adjust the update frequency and also choose between updates on WiFi only, so it's worth checking the app settings page.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

This really is a farce !!

Contacted O2 on the "chat" option - I explained that I couldn't be using Data at midnight as I ALWAYS turn my phone off at night.

He said "no let me explainthis again"   so I said "go for it" ......... he then said he needed some minutes to think ?   ........  there's obviously something going on with O2 - why don't they admit it ? !

Message 9 of 14

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Midnight is when the O2 systems update and your data used for that day is recorded.

Check in the phone settings which app is using data.

Message 10 of 14