Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to cancel your contract?

Sasuke92
Level 1: Joiner
  • 9 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, so I know what phone number to phone and I know what a PAC code is but every 2 years the actual process of cancelling a contract drives me nuts.

My renewal date is 28th August 2019.

What date do I phone up to request my PAC code if I want to finish using my contract up? Is it 28th July 2019 and any date BEFORE or AFTER 28th July, and if it's AFTER, will I be billed for September 2019 instead since it's less than 30 days notification?

And what exact date would I use my PAC code so I don't get billed from my current contract?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Sasuke92 

From July 1st this year, you no longer have to give 30 days notice so just get your PAC ready and use it the day your contract ends.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Sasuke92 

From July 1st this year, you no longer have to give 30 days notice so just get your PAC ready and use it the day your contract ends.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 13

Sasuke92
  • 9 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So I can request my PAC code on any date before 28th August 2019?

And what date should I use my PAC code? What would be my deadline date based on my renewal date?

Message 3 of 13

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Your PAC is only valid for 30 days so no more than 30 days before Aug 28th, then use it then.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 13

Sasuke92
  • 9 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I get that but that's the problem. Do I use the PAC code on EXACTLY 28th August or after? What happens if I go one day after, say, 29th August, do I get charged for an extra entire month then?

Message 5 of 13

Sasuke92
  • 9 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Will they cancel my contract automatically on the 28th August even if I haven't used my PAC code yet? Say my phone comes a day or two later.

Message 6 of 13

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You'll only be charged for any days you go over, not the entire month.
Your contract won't cancel until the PAC is used by the new network.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 13

davethorp
Level 21: Regular
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

More information including how to request a PAC under the new system can be found at https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly/Cancelling-your-contract-An-updated-guide/td-p/1234852

I’d imagine the best course of action would be to request your PAC any time you like in the final month and give it to your new network with a switch date of 28th August.

Whilst they can’t charge you a 30 day notice period anymore I’d imagine they still can charge you until the end of the contract so using the PAC code earlier would still attract a charge. I’m speculating here mind so I may be wrong on that. I might have more of an idea on Monday when one of my lines terminates from using a STAC code

Message 8 of 13

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

My understanding is that there will be termination fees if applicable but the network has to inform you about this on the return text. 

Message 9 of 13

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Of course. You will still be charged to the end of the contract but they can no longer force an additional 30 days notice after that.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 13