cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When is abroad not abroad ? when is roaming but still in UK? what is extra and what included ?

Jenny105
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Hi

I'm hoping to get some answers from 02 about this query but the ringback hasnt happened as yet.

Last week I went on holiday , this involved ship , coach , train and walking. The venues were the North Sea , Lerwick Scotland, Orkney Scotland, Inverness Scotland  and Faroes, denmark

I received a text while on ship to say I was in Italy and all calls would be charged from my account.

Interestingly Ive been charged with 3 calls (on the day in the Shetlands, Scotland ) and 2 from my home (Sussex) but listed as Italy. Im glad I refrained from maing many other calls whilst ''abroad''

I hope this will be sorted before the bill goes out.

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144068 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
The problem with ships is that their network could be registered in Italy but is actually using a satellite uplink, so you get charged the satellite prices not the Italian ones.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Cleoriff
  • 122764 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

You probably were charged 'roaming' whilst on a ship @Jenny105 Their charges are astronomical...and pick up various unusual networks. You can check everything out in My O2 http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 11

MI5
  • 144068 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Search the forum for ships and cruising to get an idea of the cost to call from ships networks.
Prices also listed here http://international.o2.co.uk/internationaltariffs/travelling_abroad#
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 11

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Hi thanks

Can you be charged for roaming when you are in the UK?

We travelled from Tilbury Esssex to Scotland (and islands) by ship. 02 sent me a text in the North Sea re being in Italy and it would be like being at home with calls coming out of my account. ok I didnt text at sea.

2 texts marked ITA  were made from my home in Sussex, UK 6 hours after leaving the boat.

3 texts marked FRO were made from Scotland

My travels take me far and wide so Im careful with texts (I cant call as I'm part deaf). But i thought 02 could manage texts from Scotland and its islands and Sussex in England

Message 4 of 11

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
Hi M15 thanks. See reply to Cleo. Note I cant call. Texts charged were from Scotland and my home in UK after trip had finished
Message 5 of 11

MI5
  • 144068 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
The problem with ships is that their network could be registered in Italy but is actually using a satellite uplink, so you get charged the satellite prices not the Italian ones.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 11

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
Ah that would explain something . The captain was Italian .
I will double check where we were on Aug 31st but by my calculations we were in Lerwick , Scotland and not on the boat at those times. I need to check. Getting there thanks
Message 7 of 11

jonsie
  • 93150 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

I would check where you were a couple of days before as the ship may be two or three days behind were billing is concerned. 

Message 8 of 11

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Hi

I think Ive worked this out now. The Captain was Italian and therefore the onboard callls were billed as in Italy.

My son , at home. was looking for my hubbys drill ! He called to find out where it was !

Anyway if we do a trip like that again I will check out the costs and forbid calls abouut home products .....

Thanks

Message 9 of 11

MI5
  • 144068 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Likely to be an Italian registered ship too I would imagine.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 11