cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats the deal with upgrading on O2 refresh in 2020?

sof006
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So I am curious about moving onto O2 refresh. I have seen that O2 have essentially killed yearly upgrade.

So my question is, whats the deal when you want to upgrade now? Is there any point in refresh (sounds like it'll be more expensive as a result).

Say I went on a custom plan of 24 months, £260 upfront. The handset cost is £19.67 (iPhone 11 £732) and the airtime cost is £29.00 obviously i'd be paying 48.67 every month for 24 months... BUT if after 12 months I want a new phone what happens? 

How I have worked it out is i've paid £19.67 for 12 months thus I take £236.04 off £732 correct? So I would have £495.96 left to pay to "end" or "upgrade" early.

If this is correct am I still able to trade in my phone (providing it meets all O2 recycle criteria) to reduce that cost further? Or am I working this all out incorrectly and someone can help me understand this better.

Thanks for any help someone can give me, as you can tell I find this very confusing sweat_smile

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

@sof006 

You are exactly right.

You can upgrade at anytime by paying off your device plan.

O2 recycle is an option too if you were to choose that route.

Guide: How does O2 Refresh work? 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

@sof006 

You are exactly right.

You can upgrade at anytime by paying off your device plan.

O2 recycle is an option too if you were to choose that route.

Guide: How does O2 Refresh work? 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 9

sof006
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 

I see, so I could trade in my previous device to help with that cost even though im paying for the remainder of the device payment with the device im paying for?

Lol that sounds so strange reading that out loud...

Message 3 of 9

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
erm, yeah, I think so slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 4 of 9

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12067 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
You trade in the "old" handset when you upgrade (so it is your current phone now).
O2 put that against the balance left (or pay you if by some miracle it is worth more!)

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 5 of 9

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Beware of O2 Recycle....wink

Indeed. Better off trading it in at CEX or Mazuma mobile.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 9

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Agreed 100% however, it's the only approved method of trading in to pay towards an incomplete device plan if you abide by the T&C's.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 9

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions