cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the right SIM for me?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I know someone like me who knows so little  and understands even less about mobile phones and tariffs and SIMs etc really ought not to be allowed loose and unaccompanied in this Community.  But here is my question.  I have a Galaxy S3 that I want to keep as a backup for when my own phone is out of action, being charged or whatever.  All I need (i think) is a P&G SIM card that will allow me to send/receive a few texts and make/receive a few voice calls a month.  We are talking fewer than 150 texts and fewer than 20 calls per month so I don't want to have a monthly financial commitment.  In other words I want a SIM that will allow me to top up as and when I need it with any unused balance moving forward to the ensuing month.  Is such a thing available from O2?  If not how do I get my S3 "unlocked" from O2 so that I can try other Networks.   Sorry if this is something I should know already.

Gerry

Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

I'd agree that GiffGaff is a good option (also owned by Telefonica), but the goodybags only last for a month. You don't need to buy a goodybag though, you can just use it as PAYG too but the £5 Hokey Cokey will give you 60 minutes plus an extra minute for each minute someone not on GiffGaff calls you, ideal for low use, but the extra minutes expire on the anniversasry date too.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Possibly ;

O2 Unlimited ; A Tariff where you get allowances and keep your top up credit.

Unlock it via this form @Anonymous https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%20Form

Message 2 of 14

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144370 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions
giffgaff and no need to unlock http://giffgaff.com/goodybags
but if you want to unlock anyway, form is here https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%20Form
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 14

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

I'd agree that GiffGaff is a good option (also owned by Telefonica), but the goodybags only last for a month. You don't need to buy a goodybag though, you can just use it as PAYG too but the £5 Hokey Cokey will give you 60 minutes plus an extra minute for each minute someone not on GiffGaff calls you, ideal for low use, but the extra minutes expire on the anniversasry date too.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 4 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Weirdly enough on my usage using them and even tho GiffGaff is owned by Telefonica the data connection is glitchy and lags in my personal experience. 😞
Message 5 of 14

MI5
  • 144370 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Weirdly enough on my usage using them and even tho GiffGaff is owned by Telefonica the data connection is glitchy and lags in my personal experience. 😞

For balance, my data is as good as my O2 contract, but it will depend on location.

However, it is irrelevant to @Anonymous  as he only requires calls & texts.

ps, if you dont't have a goodybag on giffgaff make sure data is turned off/disabled as data use on a PAYG basis is extortionate!

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @MI5

If we are going to recommend a member to use another virtual Network then as his usage may change etc, I feel it is relevant to give as much info as possible.

To add calls cut out and some texts seemed not to arrive.

Lots Of our advice is from personal experience and use don't you agree.

As I said in my earlier post it's my personal experience of using GiffGaff which I'm sure @Anonymous will take into account.

And as you say "but it will depend on location"

Glad to see your balanced post.

So @Anonymous have you had a good think yet ??
Message 7 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Very many thanks to @Anonymous @MI5 @aldaweb for all the info and suggestions.  There is a lot to digest so should keep me busy for the rest of the week.

Thinking

Gerry

Message 8 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
As ever @Anonymous your very welcome buddy.

slight_smile
Message 9 of 14

jonsie
  • 93236 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

To be honest, I notice no difference whatsoever between using giffgaff or O2 in the same location. No differences in call quality or data speeds and texts come through straight away. All networks have location issues though but generally, if your O2 coverage is ok, you won't notice a difference with giffgaff......except there is a far better class of person on the O2 community!LOL

Just my two penn'orth!:smileywink:

Message 10 of 14