cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is my credit being spent on?!?!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I'm using an iPhone 4s on lay as you go.. My credit is going down and I'm getting alerts saying I've been charged £1 the day for data but I'm always connected to wifi when using it!

Is there a way to see what exactly im being charged for?

I've tried on my O2 but I can't seem to find an itemised section like on my pay monthly account.

Any help would be gratefully received as the pay as you go is set up for a child and her balance is just dropping but she's onky really using iMessage and whatsapp for grandparents!

Thanks!

Danielle.
Message 1 of 15
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Look in your iPhones settings which will tell
You what app is using what data.

Settings -> Mobile -> Look at the bottom where the apps are and you'll see what's using what.

Apps update in the background too unless as suggested Mobile Data is turned off.

Settings -> Mobile-> Turn off Mobile data but remember to turn it back on when out of wifi range.

What Payg Tariff is it on ?

Here are the Big Bundles which offer a pretty good data allowance -> http://www.o2.co.uk/tariffs/payandgo

Smartphones are really designed to be connected to data for updates and location based apps such as weather etc.

One of the worst offenders is Facebook.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

To stop £1 a day to be taken off your credit please turn off mobile data in your phone. That should stop it. 

Message 2 of 15

Sammy_boy
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 171 Posts
  • 12 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Could be the phone is connecting to mobile data either of it goes out of wifi range or a power saving measure by turning off wifi when the phone isn't been used. As suggested turn off mobile data when it's not needed in the settings, this should stop the credit drain.
Message 3 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, I'll give that a try!

Does anyone know if there's a way you can see itemised charges on pay as you go?

Thanks again, danielle.
Message 4 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Alternatively get your self a data bolt on. Then you can use your phone away from wifi and not pay £1 per day
Message 5 of 15

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

When the phone sleeps, wifi is switched off and reverts to mobile/cellular data thus any apps updating in the background will use data. This is almost certainly the trigger for the £1 daily web charge. Switching it off will stop the charges.

You can get an itemised bill but you have to fill in subject access form and enclose a payment of £10.

Other possible charges you are incurring could be sending mms instead of sms. Explained here :

Accidental MMS Sending and How to avoid it by MI5 - Here

Message 6 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Look in your iPhones settings which will tell
You what app is using what data.

Settings -> Mobile -> Look at the bottom where the apps are and you'll see what's using what.

Apps update in the background too unless as suggested Mobile Data is turned off.

Settings -> Mobile-> Turn off Mobile data but remember to turn it back on when out of wifi range.

What Payg Tariff is it on ?

Here are the Big Bundles which offer a pretty good data allowance -> http://www.o2.co.uk/tariffs/payandgo

Smartphones are really designed to be connected to data for updates and location based apps such as weather etc.

One of the worst offenders is Facebook.
Message 7 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

If she is using imessage and whatsapp when not at home she must be using data to do this, unless everytime she wants to send/receive a message she is logging into public WiFi?

Message 8 of 15

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Water muddied
Message 9 of 15

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics