Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happened to the big promise of 98% 4g coverage by 2015

Rabster
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I was told when I renewed my contract that o2 were required to have 98% coverage by 2017 but that O2 were promising customers that they'd be done by end of 2015. I live in Aviemore in the Scottish Highlands and, since that conversation tree network have added good 3g coverage and EE have added fast 4G. I can still only get 2G with no GPRS from O2, and there's no mention of the 2015 deadline anymore only the original 2017 deadline.

I've been with o2 for many many years and have 2 phones on contract but am starting to feel very short changed. When you ask CS you get the old company line - O2 do not issue future plans. personally i dont think that should be allowed, people are making a financial comitment on NO information.

Anyway, I feel better getting that off my chest! sorry to have a negative 1st post lol

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Rabster

Has the BT fibre network arrived in your area yet? If the answer is no then 4g wouldn't really work anyway.

O2 were aiming for end 2015 but for a variety of reasons including slow fibre roll out from BT they (and Vodafone) have been unable to roll out as fast as they would like.

(For clarity the fibre network would need to be near the masts not your home - depending on where your local masts are it might be that EE and Three who share some masts might be near fibre but vodafone o2 might not be).

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93149 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

I have never seen anything officially published by O2 promising 2015. The rollout is continuing as many customers on here can confirm. I wish o2 would issue a rollout schedule and timescales but despite repeated requests on here it seems to be covered by the official secrets act. Only two choices really, pay off the device and walk away to EE or wait patiently until you can utilise your phone fully on o2. My choice would be number one...

Message 2 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Rabster

Has the BT fibre network arrived in your area yet? If the answer is no then 4g wouldn't really work anyway.

O2 were aiming for end 2015 but for a variety of reasons including slow fibre roll out from BT they (and Vodafone) have been unable to roll out as fast as they would like.

(For clarity the fibre network would need to be near the masts not your home - depending on where your local masts are it might be that EE and Three who share some masts might be near fibre but vodafone o2 might not be).
Message 3 of 5

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23034 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3668 Solutions

Whether you've been an O2 customer for a day or ten years is immaterial. If 4G is something that you feel you must have, and you feel you are being shortchanged, switch provider when your contracts come up for renewal. Coverage and signal should always take precedence to brand loyalty.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144064 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
I think originally O2 said they "hoped" to complete everything by the end of 2015, but the regulation was always by end of 2017.
It's just coming now to my home time despite all the big cities around me having 4g for some time, so they are still working on it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 5