cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does one have to do to get O2 to issue a VAT Invoice

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm new to 02.

I left Vodafone because they were rubbish, the security of my accounts had been compromised on two occasions over the last few years and on both occasions, as far as I can ascertain, it was due to internal security breaches within the company itself.

I moved to O2 because I had a hankering for a smart phone and the iPhone 4S was a good deal at the time, which was in March 2013, so not long ago.

I am a private. domestic customer so the contract's in my name but my company pay's the bill and in order to conform to HMRC rules, despite being a domestic customer, a company from which goods and services are purchased must provide a VAT invoice of acceptable layout within something like 21 days of being asked so to do.

I've asked three times now (in the five months I've been a customer), twice from Customer Services over the 'phone and once via the annoying 'Live Chat' service but so far to no avail and everytime, I get a different excuse and story regarding the difficulty.

I've even threatened to inform HMRC but got nowhere.

Does anyone know how to over come this issue, which is at the end of the day illegal? 

Message 1 of 35
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

When you click on the VAT invoice link in the menu, what is the problem with the layout? As far as I can see, all the relevant information is there so I would be interested to know the exact problem.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 35
34 REPLIES 34

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

The way O2 provide their bills is not illegal, don't you think HMRC would have noticed if it wasn't?

As you elected not to have a business account all you can do is ask them to provide VAT invoicing to your MyO2 online account.

I managed with it like this for years with no problem.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you'll find you're wrong, the illegality is in the fact that I've asked them on more than one occasion to provide an acceptabe VAT invoice and they've failed to do so and that their failure is outside the time allowed to do so.

The information below is copied from HMRC website, however, as I know I'm right in this matter I can't be bothered to look up the exact time period within which the invoice needs to be provided as it's certainly less than five months:

VAT invoices: what they must show

If you are registered for VAT, then whenever you supply goods or services to someone else who is also registered for VAT you must give them a VAT invoice.

What a VAT invoice must show

A VAT invoice must show:

• an invoice number which is unique and follows on from the number of the previous invoice - if you spoil or cancel a serially numbered invoice, you must keep it to show to a VAT officer at your next VAT inspection
  • the seller's name or trading name, and address
  • the seller's VAT registration number
  • the invoice date
  • the time of supply (also known as tax point) if this is different from the invoice date - see below
  • the customer's name or trading name, and address
  • a description sufficient to identify the goods or services supplied to the customer

For each different type of item listed on the invoice, you must show:

• the unit price or rate, excluding VAT
  • the quantity of goods or the extent of the services
  • the rate of VAT that applies to what's being sold
  • the total amount payable, excluding VAT
  • the rate of any cash discount
  • the total amount of VAT charged

When a VAT invoice must be issued

If you are registered for VAT you must give any VAT-registered customers a VAT invoice for any standard-rated or reduced-rated goods or services you sell them.

If you are a retailer, you do not need to issue a VAT invoice or receipt unless your customer asks for one.

As a VAT-registered supplier, you may be liable to a fine if you do not issue a VAT invoice for a supply you have made when asked to do so by a VAT-registered customer.

There is a time limit within which VAT invoices must be issued – see the section in this guide on time limits for issuing VAT invoices.

Where simplified or modified VAT invoices can be issued Simplified VAT invoices

If you make retail sales and you make a sale of goods or services for £250 or less including VAT, then when a customer asks for a VAT invoice, you can issue a simplified VAT invoice that only needs to show:

• the seller's name and address
  • the seller's VAT registration number
  • the time of supply (tax point)
  • a description of the goods or services

Also, if the supply includes items at different VAT rates then for each different VAT rate, your simplified VAT invoice must also show:

• the total price including VAT
  • the VAT rate applicable to the item

If you accept credit cards, then you can create a less detailed invoice by adapting the sales voucher you give the cardholder when you make the sale. It must show the information described in the six bullets above

You do need to keep copies of any less detailed invoices you issue...

Oh and FYI I've been personally VAT registered and the Ltd company I own has for more than a decade so if I'm on the ball, which I am, then I'll know all this stuff, I'm not an employee. 

Message 3 of 35

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

When you click on the VAT invoice link in the menu, what is the problem with the layout? As far as I can see, all the relevant information is there so I would be interested to know the exact problem.

Message 4 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable
A precis...
If you are a retailer, you do not need to issue a VAT invoice or receipt unless your customer asks for one.
As a VAT-registered supplier, you may be liable to a fine if you do not issue a VAT invoice for a supply you have made when asked to do so by a VAT-registered customer.
There is a time limit within which VAT invoices must be issued – see the section in this guide on time limits for issuing VAT invoices.
Message 5 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable
The invoice is supposed to have the Company details and VAT number printed on.

It's to stop money laundering.
Message 6 of 35

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

With respect, when I open the link all the details are there at the bottom?

Message 7 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

More from Her Majesty's Customs & Excise:

You need a valid VAT invoice to reclaim VAT

Even if you are registered for VAT, you can normally only reclaim VAT on your purchases if:

• you buy an item and use it for business purposes
  • you have a valid VAT invoice for the purchase

Only VAT-registered businesses can issue valid VAT invoices. You cannot reclaim VAT on any goods or services that you buy from a business that is not VAT registered.

Even though the 'phone and the related contract is mine as I paid for it and it's in my name, because the 'phone is used on company business, in that the company's landline is always diverted to my mobile 'phone and the calls made thereto and therefrom are related to work, I am entitled to claim the expense back from my employer and as they are VAT registered, even though the contract etc is in my name, because the 'phone is used effectively wholly for business purpose, they are entitled to claim-back the VAT and are therefore entitled to a VAT invoice.

Ta-da! 

Message 8 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

@perksie wrote:

All you can do is ask them to provide VAT invoicing to your MyO2 online account.

I managed with it like this for years with no problem.

This is what you need to do. Call Customer Services and ask them to enable VAT Invoicing on your My O2 online account.

Message 9 of 35

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions