Did you mean: 

What do you miss out on - sim only over contract

ajo
Level 1: Joiner
  • 24 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am looking to save money, but also get the iPhone 6

I have been on contacts with my past phones, but am looking now at sim only/payg.  What, if anything do you lose by doing this over paying a contract.  Do you get Visual Voicemail still.

As I cant get 4G where I am, I dont see the need in paying for it, so can just stick with 3G for now.

Thanks

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@ajo wrote:

I am looking to save money, but also get the iPhone 6

You'll save more money over a 2 year period by buying a cheaper phone.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 2 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

I use Payg and no I don't get VVM.

Sim only are good deals and it's typically more allowances in the 12 month ones than the 30 days for the monthly cost.

It depends on how much you want to be locked in.

VVM is not a deal breaker for me.

You don't pay any premium for 4G tariffs so even if you don't get it where you are now if you commute to an area where it is you can enjoy those speeds and also your set up for when 4G does reach your area.
Message 3 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does saving money and Iphone 6 even go together????

But I know what you mean, you want an IPhone6 but you want it on the cheapest deal possible.

On expensive handsets i would factor in the resale/trade in value and also cashback websites.

It may cost you £800 over a 24 month term but you may be able to trade it in for £200 and you may be able to get as much as £100 from cashback sites. Make it a much more reasonable £500.

Plus you get to enjoy the latest tech for 2 years.

Thats my logic in buying top end handsets and refreshing them every two years.

With o2 it's even better of course as you are free to ditch earlier.

🙂

Message 4 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
To add : on Payg voicemail usage does not come out of your inclusive minutes like on contract.

£0.15p per call.
Message 5 of 12

ajo
  • 24 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks... but I have had iPhones for a long time, also use OSX so like that everything works together.

Cheaper phones are out there, but OSX and iOS are what I like.

Message 6 of 12

ajo
  • 24 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I dont think I have ever paid for voicemail... is that becasue of unlimited minutes that I have?

Message 7 of 12

ajo
  • 24 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

This is good.

When I was on 12 month contracts I usally broke even from selling the old unlocked handset to put towards the new phone/contract.  Also adding starting a new contract through quidco.  Very worth doing, but at the moment no high rates like last time.

Also as I was last on a 24 month contract, the phone is now an older model that usual before selling, so I wont be getting as much.

Message 8 of 12

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

If it's locked you may get a little more for it by getting it unlocked whilst still in contract

Message 9 of 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
12 month sim only contracts will give you exactly the same as a 24 month phone contract.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 12