cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wanted to buy a data bolt on but only offering 8GB?

JS123
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Until a month or so back, if I needed to top up my data I could log into my O2 and choose how much I want to top up. I need to top up now until my next bill date but the only option is to pay £22 for 8GB. Why can I no longer buy a small amount of data? 

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 10678 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3100 Solutions

@JS123 

If you log into Myo2 on the web it should show many more options as it starts at 100mb to 12Gb with everything in between... 

madasaf1sh_0-1719839249047.png

madasaf1sh_1-1719839331423.png

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 15

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147070 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28289 Solutions

@JS123 

It appears that O2 have removed the other options for some reason.

If you are regularly buying a bolt on it will be cheaper to change your tariff which you can do in your MyO2 or by contacting O2 Guide: How to find help & contact O2 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 3 of 15

JS123
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

That is how it used to be - but I tried yesterday, today and by phone and I just get offered the one option I have mentioned. Hence why I am trying this forum. (I note that in your screenshot the minus button is blue. For me it is greyed out, as is the plus button). 

Message 4 of 15

JS123
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you - it would be good to know what the reason was obviously - hence why I am trying the forum. I take the point about upgrading but the notes to doing that say you may lose all of this month's allowance so I don't want to try that until my next bill falls due (and this last month was an exceptional one as I was away travelling).  Can anyone suggest why O2 might be limiting my options to just this one amount of data?

Message 5 of 15

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 10678 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3100 Solutions

@JS123 

Because I can only add a max of 12GB ( and that is from 30mimutes ago).. 

My feeling is its customer demand, and there is no point having options if no one buys them especially at the lower end as who buys 100 -1GB of data it wouldnt last 2 minutes on things like Youtube or Disney Plus.. so it actually makes sense in someways.. It could also be that they are going to be launching new bundles.. 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 6 of 15

JS123
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Interesting - and also interesting thought re new bundles. Thank you. 

Message 7 of 15

Oxonian
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 7629 Posts
  • 146 Topics
  • 25 Solutions

@JS123 

In post 3 above, @MI5 said :-

If you are regularly buying a bolt on it will be cheaper to change your tariff.....

In that context, the O2 deals on Uswitch are worth look :- 

SIM Only Deals: Compare our best in July 2024 - Uswitch

https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/compare/sim_only_deals/

At the time of writing, there are five options thereon :-

Oxonian_0-1719864745000.png

Good luck. 👍

Message 8 of 15

JS123
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you for sharing that. Unfortunately I need more data as of now. O2 says if I switch now I risk losing all my data allowance before next billing date - so cannot make a change till next billing date. It appears from these replies that O2 have removed an option to buy small chunks of extra data without any warning. Thank you anyway all of you for your replies. 

Message 9 of 15

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147070 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28289 Solutions

Not to mention penalty charges if the minimum contract term has not been met.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 10 of 15