Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voicemail PIN reverts to default

DaveL35
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

This issue has been raised in the past, but as far as I can tell, nobody has been able to get a meaningful answer.

If you don't use voicemail for a while the secure PIN you have set up will revert to the default, and you lose your PIN protection.

I've contacted O2 twice today to try to get a resolution. On live chat, the advisor told me that it will revert after a time. When I asked how long, I was told it's in the phone settings, not in the O2 systems. This is clearly nonsense.

I contacted customer service on 202 and was told that the system is set up to revert to default "after a while" but the advisor was unable to tell me exactly (or even roughly) how long this while is. The best part was the explanation that it is "for security reasons".

Can anyone suggest a way to get someone who might understand the issue to listen and to accept that there is a problem and a security exposure here.

Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37

DaveL35
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
This is the annual post to point out that this is STILL an issue. (Though I have long ago given up hope that anything will ever be done to change matters.)
Message 31 of 38

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

My pin reverted to 8705 again last week. Very annoying and this has been the case for the last 20 years. Doubt it will ever be fixed which is ridiculous in these security conscious times.

Message 32 of 38

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I have a slightly different problem. I have voicemail set up though I only need to use it rarely. So when I dial 901 I am always told I need to set up a pin. My Pin has been set up since I had the phone, so I have to go through the process again and again...and again. (I use the same pin every time)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 33 of 38

FreverOpeful
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi Davel 35,

We're about due for your annual post aren't we.  Thank you for keeping the issue going.  I had to reset today after months of non-access! Just looking through the various posts I think the current situation is :

Voicemail auto-resets to default after 60 days inactivity for security protection!

Apparently it then stops voicemail being accessed and can only be reset from the actual phone.

But : Has anyone verified that after auto-reset-to-default-by-o2 the voicemail cannot be accessed externally from another phone that knows the default number (whetever that is?)?

Best regards

M

Message 34 of 38

MI5
  • 143412 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@FreverOpeful wrote:

Hi Davel 35,

We're about due for your annual post aren't we.  Thank you for keeping the issue going.  I had to reset today after months of non-access! Just looking through the various posts I think the current situation is :

Voicemail auto-resets to default after 60 days inactivity for security protection!

Apparently it then stops voicemail being accessed and can only be reset from the actual phone.

But : Has anyone verified that after auto-reset-to-default-by-o2 the voicemail cannot be accessed externally from another phone that knows the default number (whetever that is?)?

Best regards

M

@DaveL35 Tagged wink

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 35 of 38

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

DaveL35
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@FreverOpeful wrote:

...Has anyone verified that after auto-reset-to-default-by-o2 the voicemail cannot be accessed externally from another phone that knows the default number (whetever that is?)?

Yes, if you dial in from another phone when the PIN has been reset to default, the recorded message tells you you must use the primary phone and does not invite you to enter a PIN.

There does not seem to be a security issue.

It's just an annoyance.

Message 37 of 38

steamship
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@DaveL35 wrote:
This is the annual post to point out that this is STILL an issue. (Though I have long ago given up hope that anything will ever be done to change matters.)

As of today (28/7/2020), the voicemail PIN issue remains the same. Resets after 60 days and their excuse is still 'for security purposes'. I don't change the PIN on my debit card because of inactivity or the multitude of passwords for every site I'm registered on.

Their 'security' is way over the top. Just to use their online chat, I had to login to my O2 account with a username and password. I then had to enter a 6 digit number sent to my phone. Despite being logged in, I then had to provide my full name and the mobile phone number. I then had to provide two characters from a security answer I set up 8 years ago, but I don't remember the question and they won't tell you. I was then asked for a 4 digit verification code that I was sent.

In the meantime, I did some Googling and came across this helpful thread which gave me the answer I was looking for. Ten minutes after being asked for the 4 digit verification code, and having been transferred to another rep, the code finally arrived. When I gave them that, they then asked for my full billing address and postcode, and after all that, they were willing to answer my question, which I had found here. In all, it took 27 minutes!

Thanks to whoever started the thread, the person who provided the answer and to those keeping the thread alive so that others can find it.

Message 38 of 38