cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vodafone unlocked but no O2 signal

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

OK... have put my existing (working) PAYG O2 SIM card in my nos (sealed box) Vodafone iPhone 4s and successfully unlocked it via iTunes (Congratulations, your iPhone has been unlocked), waited a couple of hours only to find I've NO signal (phone is showing: ooooo O2-UK), 3G (internet) and everything else is working fine but unable to send or receive calls, messages etc. Have tried every conceivable reset and restore and If you can't make or receive calls on your iPhone - Apple Support ...all to no avail !

Anyone know how to resolve this ? 

Message 1 of 36
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Yes, they have confirmed that the phone is unlocked, ie free to use any network sim, but that action will not override a phone that has had its IMEI blocked due to loss of theft.
You phone is displaying classic symptoms and I've seen it hundreds of times in the past - hence my very first reply to you on this thread.
You cannot do anything about this so I suggest you get your money back from wherever you bought it and move on.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but there is no way to sugar coat it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 26 of 36
35 REPLIES 35

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Sounds like the handset is barred.
Where did you get it from?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 36

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It's worth checking your IMEI number on here https://www.checkmend.com/uk/

Currently using:
Message 3 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

If my phone has been barred, is there any way to get in unbarred ?

Message 4 of 36

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Only if it was you who requested it to be barred because you lost it and then found it again.
They are usually stolen handsets that have been barred by insurance companies because they have paid out a claim for them. These then get peddled on ebay to unsuspecting customers or sold off in pubs etc.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is the latest...

Yesterday, Vodafone confirmed my phone was NOT blocked.

Received new email from Vodafone this morning.

They unlocked the phone again at their end and asked me to unlock via iTunes with a new update (9.3.2). This was again successful and this time I HAD signal... that was until the point of confirming my Apple ID password during the set up as a New Phone, when it disappeared again.

As per Vodafone instructions, I did another iTunes restore, which this time asked me to turn 'off' Find iPhone (app), which I did.

I've since removed 'My Device' from iTunes also and done yet another restore but still have NO signal... 

Message 6 of 36

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

So the iPhone did unlock and you got o2 showing as the carrier?

The next thing to check would be for local o2 issues http://status.o2.co.uk

When you unlocked via iTunes did it say something along the lines of iPhone unlocked ? (Forget exact wording as done all mine ota recently)

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 7 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

@adamtemp64

Yes... phone unlocked OK and carrier is showing O2-UK

Have checked local issues... everything OK

Yes... 'Congratulations, your iPhone has been unlocked' 

Message 8 of 36

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Maybe sim is faulty?

Currently using:
Message 9 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5

Nope... SIM card works perfectly in my other iPhone.

Message 10 of 36