Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VoLTE on arnitary device

evantkh
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 366 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
Is O2 allowing turning on VoLTE in account even if the device is not listed on O2's device as eligible?

Does O2 intentionally prevent use of other VoLTE devices currently? Or has anyone made it working on other devices such as those Android devices not purchased in the UK?
Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Only works on iPhone 7, 7+ and Galaxy S7 and S7 edge with O2 branded firmware.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Only works on iPhone 7, 7+ and Galaxy S7 and S7 edge with O2 branded firmware.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 10

evantkh
  • 366 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
@MI5

Interestingly "My O2" lets me turn on VoLTE on the account with my Chinese Huawei Mate 8, but Huawei has not push an update to make the VoLTE button appear on the settings.
Message 3 of 10

evantkh
  • 366 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
Previously that button is hidden.
Message 4 of 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Everyone can see the button now but it won't work unless you have a supported device.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 10

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
MyO2 will allow anyone to enable VoLTE and Wifi calling regardless of whether or not you are using a supported device. At the moment it is limited to iPhone 7 / 7+, and the Samsung Galaxy S7 / S7 Edge and I believe the S8 variants providing you are using O2 firmware.

Non O2 firmware handsets are not supported at this time
Message 6 of 10

evantkh
  • 366 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

I actually want to know whether O2's network allows only approved devices on its VoLTE network similar to an IMEI whitelist system. VoLTE has a global standard specified and if an arbitary device is able to talk to O2's server will it get blocked intentionally by User Agent or some other means?

Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
The control is in the o2 firmware as stated.
Non o2 firmware will not work, period.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 10

evantkh
  • 366 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
@MI5

O2 firmware is something client side.

Maybe I take an example. I can talk to you using English but you may or may not respond.

Unsupported means you cannot ask O2 for help when something is not working, rather than talking about whether it will work or not. For example when you reverse engineer an O2 firmware and copy the code to a customized device with bespoken firmware.
Message 9 of 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Of course you can port certain aspects of one ROM into another if you have the knowledge and ability but that won't be the answer for 99% of users.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 10