cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video Call Charges - Facebook Messenger/WhatsApp

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I used to use Skype to video call UK to Australia. I want to use Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp to do this.

Am I correct in saying that if I am using WiFi the video calls are free?

If I drop out of WiFi data will be used. If I use data will it be taken from my monthly limit on my account or charged differently?  If there is a charge, where would I find what that is.

Thanks

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. Yes, that's right, I am in the UK and using the apps to video call Australia. It's good to know that the data comes out of my bundle and when that runs out I will get a message to buy more etc or simply not be able to use the app.  I called Australia this evening and my wifi wasn't connected when I thought it was!! So I am relieved to know I shouldn't get a big charge for that.

Thanks again

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
If your overseas and connected to WiFi then the calls will be free, if your using data then you'll be charged the going rate mb or use any overseas bolt on. I wouldn't recommend using data for calling oversees, try still to hotel / free WiFi hotspots
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you - so the data I use will be charge per minute at the standard call rate from UK to Australia?

Message 3 of 7

Curr946
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
So it's capped to 50mb for £40 or 200mb with bolt on for £140. You can remove the cap, but then you'll​ pay £6 per mb
Message 4 of 7

Curr946
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
More info here http://international.o2.co.uk/internationaltariffs/travelling_abroad
Message 5 of 7

Curr946
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
Sorry, I've totally picked you up wrong, your in the UK, so any Facebook or WhatsApp calls will come out of your data bundle, your not changed for exceeding your data bundle, your just restricted from using more than your allowance.
Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. Yes, that's right, I am in the UK and using the apps to video call Australia. It's good to know that the data comes out of my bundle and when that runs out I will get a message to buy more etc or simply not be able to use the app.  I called Australia this evening and my wifi wasn't connected when I thought it was!! So I am relieved to know I shouldn't get a big charge for that.

Thanks again

Message 7 of 7