cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Valid ID

Anonymous
Not applicable
I don’t have a passport and I am medically unfit to drive or get provisional can someone please tell me what other ID is valid as I wasn’t able to collect my upgrade today because of this.
Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122943 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@AnonymousNowadays anything with photo ID appears to be expected. Your proof of order, a full birth certificate, utility bills and /or credit/debit cards may be acceptable alternatives. You should phone customer services in the morning (between 8-8.30am) explain your circumstances and ask their advice.https://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

I can understand the store needing ID for security purposes but the fact is, had you ordered a device online they wouldn't expect any sort of ID....

Also it was rather remiss of the store who failed to tell you what ID was acceptable in your circumstances...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 35

MI5
  • 144386 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
According to o2, all you need is the pin code that’s emailed to you.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 35

Wa10
Level 19: Quirky
  • 418 Posts
  • 32 Topics
  • 29 Solutions

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/collection-and-delivery#section1

It definitely does say on here that both the collection pin and passport or driving licence are needed, however the last time I collected an upgrade in store I was only asked for the pin. 

Not sure what arrangements are in place for people who don't have either of those documents where they are required, therefore it may be worth giving CS a call as suggested above. slight_smile 

I work for O2, however any advice or opinion given in this community should be considered my own and not necessarily representative of Telefónica UK Limited.
Message 4 of 35

Cleoriff
  • 122943 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

As I also said in my post above, its pretty appalling that @Anonymous wasn't given this information by the store staff and felt the need to come here to ask the question. There must be many people who don't have any photo ID. Hopefully CS should be able to help...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 35

Wa10
Level 19: Quirky
  • 418 Posts
  • 32 Topics
  • 29 Solutions

It's definitely my understanding that if you upgrade in store you wouldn't need to present photo ID, as the verification is usually done by sending a security code to the existing SIM/handset. 

The ID would only usually be required if it was a click and collect order online, in which case it does advise as per the link above that ID will be required, and the store staff wouldn't have had an opportunity to advise @Anonymous as they wouldn't have seen them until the date of collection.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that it's not an idea situation, just conscious that the store staff may not be at fault if it was an online upgrade order. 

I work for O2, however any advice or opinion given in this community should be considered my own and not necessarily representative of Telefónica UK Limited.
Message 6 of 35

Cleoriff
  • 122943 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

And though we always advise people to go instore to have a better chance of getting the device they want....in this instance @Anonymous  would have been better to order online for home delivery where NO ID is required

I'm sure CS will offer some sort of workaround.

Re the store staff @Wa10 I made a presumption that the op had been instore to collect and was unable to (In which case they should have advised any alternative)

That may not have been the case....but to avoid going round in circles. lets hope @Anonymous gets the info she needs when she phones CS..

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @Anonymous ... do you have a bus pass with your photo on? 

I say this because I have some info which may help ... despite me not having a passport or a driving license (I'm not allowed to drive due to the tablets I'm on) ... & ... my bus pass is a disabled bus pass ...

I've been wanting to register at my local medical practice for online prescriptions BUT they ask for a driving license or passport ... = ... today the very pleasant / competent, telephonist / receptionist asked if I had a bus pass as that would be sufficient ... I have to tell you the photo of me is a *boffer* ... but I shall complete the form(s) later today when I go to see my GP for a review ... I was thinking 'Well the surgery has had my details for over 20+ years I've been in town' BUT no it seems an official card with photo id is required

I hope this may be of help to you @Anonymous ... & ... I wish you well

Message 8 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you to everyone who has replied.
Iv had an extremely stressful 24 hours with o2. I got advice from an o2 guru as I’m on the yearly upgrade programme I was told the only way to order online and trade in was to click and collect. No ID was mentioned I received my text and email to say phone was ready to collect. I didn’t read much off the email. Which was my fault and it did say further down driving licence or passport. I went to store to collect to be told I couldn’t collect my handsets as click and collect orders have to be processed with government ID that goes through a scanner in store I explained my circumstances and got nowhere I phoned CS and was on the phone for approx an and hour a half. To be told they couldn’t really do anything they can’t overrule the store and to call store this morning and speak to a manger, he said there was noting he could do as only a passport or driving licence is acceptable I explained I have epilepsy which deems me unfit to drive and I have a government disabled bus pass and this still wasn’t acceptable, I had explained this last night in store also. Iv had to ring CS again cancel the contract to get the phones returned to o2 And they will upgrade me over the phone and get home delivery and send a pack out for me to return my old handset as I’m on the yearly upgrade programme. So yesterday was the most stressful birthday ever! Was very excited when I had the message to say the phone had arrived two days early and t was my birthday. But he whole situation just went downhill from there. I think I got through to a manager at CS this morning as she knew about early upgrade available via phone order but the lady last night said I had to use o2 recycle! Anyway click and collect orders are passport or driving licence only so if your due an upgrade and are unfortunate on the ID front like me. DO your upgrade over the phone.
Message 9 of 35

Cleoriff
  • 122943 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@AnonymousI think this is absolutely outrageous. No consideration has been given regarding your health and stress this is causing you. Not everyone has photo ID. You made all that effort to go instore and nothing was done to help you at all

@MercedesS@Martin-O2@Marjois there anything you can do to help @Anonymous?

As I said earlier, none of this would have happened had you ordered the phone online....I am so angry on your behalf...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 35