Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN APN (vpn.o2.co.uk)

redstamp
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I understand from some research that if you need a publically addressable IP, then you need to use the VPN APN (vpn.o2.co.uk) and this will only for to initialise a VPN session (and not access the internet). 

With that accepted, I understand that one needs to contact customer care to add this APN to one's SIM.  Is this correct and does anyone know which team and what contact details I should use?

In addition, I wanted to understand the other APN settings that are required to use this APN, such as username, password, authentication type etc.

Thanks,

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@redstamp 

Have a read https://www.o2.co.uk/assets2/pdf/O2GPRS3GServiceVPNSolutionsAUG09.pdf

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 6

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22938 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@redstamp  Keep in mind that the .pdf was written 10 years ago and is addressing phones capable of GPRS and 3G. O2 hot on the heels of the latest technology.:smileywink:

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 6

redstamp
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Yeah, I had found this on my hunt to find a way to get a publically addressable IP from O2 and seems VPN links are the only way. This is fine and will provide the functionality I need, but after calling Customer Services and spending 10 mins navigating the IVR and another 2 transfers and 20 min of conversations later trying to explain what I needed, I had to hang-up for my next meeting. Yesterday a web chat with the Guru Team suggested using modem.o2.co.uk, but as this isn't listed as providing the same capability, I haven't tried it yet (and the fact I'm not with the device right now). Any idea what number to call to speak to a well informed Tech Team? Thanks.
Message 4 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Martin-O2 @Marjo 

Could you put @redstamp in touch with our forum Guru?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 6

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Thanks for the tag @MI5  - just dropped you a PM @redstamp ! thumbsup

Message 6 of 6