Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using phone in USA

PDM3
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am going to be in Miami for two months from 17th August and then on a cruise ship for eight months. What is the best phone package for me?

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pgn
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 38492 Posts
  • 240 Topics
  • 1732 Solutions

1. In the USA, make sure you have a phone capable of 4G Calling if you need to make or receive voice calls: USA - Roaming with O2  https://www.o2.co.uk/international/using-your-phone-abroad

2. On the Cruise Ship, perhaps best to switch to using on-board WiFi and getting your contacts to use WhatsApp for calls, messaging and video calls - Cellular data on cruiseships can be very expensive! 

You could also use WhatsApp in the USA, and rely on the plentiful WiFi in resorts, restaurants, hotels, etc, @PDM3 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

pgn
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 38492 Posts
  • 240 Topics
  • 1732 Solutions

1. In the USA, make sure you have a phone capable of 4G Calling if you need to make or receive voice calls: USA - Roaming with O2  https://www.o2.co.uk/international/using-your-phone-abroad

2. On the Cruise Ship, perhaps best to switch to using on-board WiFi and getting your contacts to use WhatsApp for calls, messaging and video calls - Cellular data on cruiseships can be very expensive! 

You could also use WhatsApp in the USA, and rely on the plentiful WiFi in resorts, restaurants, hotels, etc, @PDM3 

Message 2 of 4

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 24007 Posts
  • 1046 Topics
  • 3773 Solutions

@PDM3 To add to the good advice from @pgn, also see this guide: USA - Roaming with O2 - O2 Community

Be aware that O2 throttles roaming speeds to 2mbps in the US, which is extremely slow.

As you're going to be away for so long, you may also want to check O2's Fair Usage policy, but I'm not 100% certain it applies:

O2 | Consumer Fair Usage Policy | Terms and Conditions

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 4

PDM3
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you both.

I appreciate your responses. 

Message 4 of 4