Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Anonymous

Using iPhone in the USA

Hi folks!

I will be taking my iPhone to the USA soon. I know about turning data roaming off, and I will also turn cellular data off to force the phone to use the free WiFi I'll have access to - no data charges then.

My question is regarding call and text charges - I'm on pay monthly, with 100 texts and 100 minutes each month. I have found the bit on the web site which says calls will be charged at 90p (I assume per minute) and texts at 25p. Can I not use the minutes and texts I will have in my allowance??

I'm considering turning the phone to airplane mode for the two weeks (no cellular charges either that way) but there are people back home who might need to call me in an emergency, and not all of my friends who may text me have an iPhone or can use iMessage...

Any help gratefully accepted! Thank you!
Highlighted
Topics: 295
Kudos: 1,853
Ideas: 6
Solutions: 1,316

Re: Using iPhone in the USA

Your assumptions are correct it is free to receive SMS but there are charges for incoming calls as well and nothing to allow use of included mins and SMS. Also turn voice mail off using 1760 before you leave the uk.
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 11” 2018 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Henstridge Rural South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Highlighted
Anonymous

Thank you!

So... I can't use any of my allowance while abroad at all? Hmmm. OK. (There was a typo in my first post - it's 100 mins and 500 texts). They can't for example take 4 text 'credits' for an SMS rather than the 1 it would be at home?

Am I right in thinking it's 1710 to turn Voicemail off and Missed Call Alert on, then 1760 to reverse this?

Good to know it doesn't cost to receive an SMS though! Thanks!
Highlighted
Topics: 554
Solutions: 13,949

Only the old Legacy tarriff's offered the 4:1 roaming text option.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
OnePlus 6 (O2 & Sfr), Z3 Tablet (Three UK), iPhone 8+ (EE)
Highlighted
Topics: 574
Solutions: 3,895

@Anonymous wrote:
Thank you!

So... I can't use any of my allowance while abroad at all? Hmmm. OK. (There was a typo in my first post - it's 100 mins and 500 texts). They can't for example take 4 text 'credits' for an SMS rather than the 1 it would be at home?

Am I right in thinking it's 1710 to turn Voicemail off and Missed Call Alert on, then 1760 to reverse this?

Good to know it doesn't cost to receive an SMS though! Thanks!

1710 for text notifications and then 1750 to revert to normal voicemail. 1760 turns off voicemail and text notification.