cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to the iPhone 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade to the iPhone 5, however I only started my new 24 month contract about 2 or 3 months ago. I remember when I upgraded from the 3GS to the 4, I brought out my contract. I was wondering if I could somehow get a quote as to how much it would be to buy this one out? I contacted my local store and they told me to phone 202 which I did but all it told me was that I wasn't eligiable for an upgrade yet.
Can anyone help me? I am quite keen to upgrade to the iPhone 5.

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Depending on which iPhone 4 you have you can still get upwards of £300 for it.

Would make a sizeable dent in a iPhone 5 purchase:)

Sorry it's not a cheap route. It's defiantly cheaper than buying out your contract:( I'm happy to pm you the shop I use to sell for good money if you want.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93174 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6966 Solutions

It will be the remaining months multiplied by the monthly tariff (less any bolt ons you may have).

Message 2 of 12

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I think you're barmy, but you could just phone and say you want to cancel.

Surely a better and cheaper way would be to sell your iPhone 4 and put the money towards buying the 5 outright and keep the same contract.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 3 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wouldn't I be charged for cancelling the contract?

If I did buy a 5 outright from say Apple, would I still have the same support from O2 on my contract? (obviously not the phone) 

Message 4 of 12

jonsie
  • 93174 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6966 Solutions

It's really the only sensible way if you are adamant you want the iphone 5. Three months into your contract, did you not think of waiting with the 5 release imminent?Smiley Frustrated

Message 5 of 12

jonsie
  • 93174 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6966 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Wouldn't I be charged for cancelling the contract?

If I did buy a 5 outright from say Apple, would I still have the same support from O2 on my contract? (obviously not the phone) 

Your contract would just carry on with full support from both O2 and Apple

Message 6 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wasn't totally sure when it would be out. Still wasn't finalised. How much roughly would I be charged if I cancelled my contract?

Message 7 of 12

jonsie
  • 93174 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6966 Solutions

Pickles
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 564 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 17 Solutions

@perksie wrote:

I think you're barmy, but you could just phone and say you want to cancel.

Surely a better and cheaper way would be to sell your iPhone 4 and put the money towards buying the 5 outright and keep the same contract.

I have to agree with Perksie here.  You would be better off selling your iPhone 4.  It should work out much cheaper to buy the iPhone 5 than to buy out your contract when you are only 3 months into it!

You will still get the same support from O2, as your contract would remain the same with them.

Samsung S8
Message 9 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

It would defiantly be best to buy the 5 outright as you will just be throwing money away paying off 21 months and getting nothing for it 

Message 10 of 12