Did you mean: 

Upgrading to Sim Only

Duncs-86
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all. 

I am looking to upgrade my current device and sim plan to just a sim only plan and get a new phone elsewhere. If I do this, will my current sim and phone work until my new sim arrives in the post to start transfer or will my current sim shut down straight away after I pay for the upgrade? 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

pgn
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 38260 Posts
  • 240 Topics
  • 1729 Solutions

If you order a SIMO contract from O2, recent reports here indicate you may lose your service while the new SIM is en-route to you until you swap your number using the link for that purpose in your MyO2 App

Screenshot_20230202-141422.png

This seems to be happening more frequently - possibly as customers are moved to the new back-end billing system, 360 (more here if interested )

I ordered a new phone and O2 5G sim (upgrade contract) from an independent reseller affordablemobiles at end of last year, and my original SIM continued in service until I swapped service from old to new in mid-January - it does seem to be a bit hit and miss with O2 tbh.

Take your chances - O2 have a habit of sending out new and replacement SIMS via Royal Mail, so it could be 3 to 5 days before your new SIM is with you. Good luck, @Duncs-86.

Message 2 of 4

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 125751 Posts
  • 829 Topics
  • 7547 Solutions

I upgraded my Sim Only in January and ticked the box to say No New Sim needed. My tariff changed immediately and my sim carried on working with no issues.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 4

Enlli
Level 67: Unsung hero
  • 7812 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 1643 Solutions

Now is not the time to change. Whatever you choose the price will go up on 1st April. Better to hold off a month and then see what's on offer.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 4 of 4