Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading - few questions

paulbacon
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So it seems my S7 is on its last legs, so looking to upgrade to the S20. Usually i upgrade instore, but obviously that isnt possible at the moment and its ages since i last upgraded. Couple of questions:

1 - I buy the phone on the o2 store, can i use my existing SIM card in the new phone, or as my tariff will be changing do i need to use the SIM the phone comes with?

2 - I assume the NHS discount is still a thing with o2 as i can claim that

3 - Is Smart Switch the best way to transfer all apps/contacts/data etc between both devices, and does it work well?

Thanks

Message 1 of 21
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@paulbacon 

1 - Your new tariff is upgraded on your current sim, so continue to use it.

2 - NHS discount help here Guide: O2 Open & Friends and Family discounts - How to sign up 

3 - Yes

Word of caution regarding the S20 though. It's not the best phone that Samsung have ever produced. Check the reviews online.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@paulbacon 

1 - Your new tariff is upgraded on your current sim, so continue to use it.

2 - NHS discount help here Guide: O2 Open & Friends and Family discounts - How to sign up 

3 - Yes

Word of caution regarding the S20 though. It's not the best phone that Samsung have ever produced. Check the reviews online.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 21

paulbacon
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks slight_smile

Regarding the S20, ive had a quick look online and thought reviews were pretty good, but admit not looked too closely at them

Comparing the tariffs of the S20 and the S21 (just the base phone not the ultra) and seems abit odd

£30 upfront with 15GB of data over 36 month for both phones. S20 comes in at £47.50 while the same tariff on the S21 is £46.99. The S21 has a deal where you get 6 month free airtime too

So how can a newer phone be cheaper per month?

Message 3 of 21

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@paulbacon 

It's on a deal at the moment so I'd grab it whilst you can at that price.

The S21 is everything the S20 should have been, but wasn't.......

Currently using:
Message 4 of 21

paulbacon
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Cheers

Yea seems decent at that price. Only downside is seems to be out of stock as it says it can take a week to arrive (assuming thats accurate)

Message 5 of 21

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Anyone's guess.
I'm sure you are aware of O2's lack of live stock checking, but certainly more chance of getting it than an iPhone currently........

Currently using:
Message 6 of 21

paulbacon
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Aye. Will have a look at some reviews anyway and see which i prefer, but if the S21 comes back instock then that seems the more likely choice

Cheers for the help

Message 7 of 21

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You're welcome mate.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 21

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@paulbacon 

Don't forget that you can get free buds with the S21 too slight_smile

https://20203.samsungpromotions.claims/galaxys21buds/en-GB

Currently using:
Message 9 of 21

paulbacon
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Nice one thanks.

Just spoke to a friend with an S20. He was saying the S21 is abit of a stripped down version of the S20, which Samsung did to bring the cost down. There is the Ultra version but then that adds to the cost. Saw this in a review:

"The Samsung Galaxy S21 isn't a huge step up on its predecessor – in fact, it's a downgrade in more ways than one, and a sideways step in other areas.

However, the Galaxy S20 was more expensive at launch, and has been discontinued now. If you can find a Samsung Galaxy S20 for cheaper than the Galaxy S21, it may be a better purchase for you – but hunting one down might be a tall order"

Although not sure what they mean by hard to find as o2 have them in

Message 10 of 21