cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading but wish to change from pay monthly to pay as you go

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi well as you can all see from the title,
I am due an upgrade and I am currently on (finishing) a 24 month contract.
I'd like to upgrade from a iPhone 5 to a 6, and I Am aware that I have to wait until O2 offers it pay as you go.
Does anyone know if this will work? Or will I just have to sell my iPhone 5 and buy a 6?
Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143456 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You can buy the phone from Apple and just take a PAYG sim from O2 if you wish.
Use the funds from selling your 5 towards buying the 6.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
  • 143456 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You can buy the phone from Apple and just take a PAYG sim from O2 if you wish.
Use the funds from selling your 5 towards buying the 6.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 8

jonsie
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

That would be my preferred option too and you don't have to wait. Once you have the phone go P&G or a sim only contract.

Message 3 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
But will the fact I am a long term customer and due an upgrade count for nothing just because I want to change my payment plan/methods. I only wish to change as I am out of the country a lot and I am paying bills of at least £100 every month
Message 4 of 8

jonsie
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Old customers are treated exactly the same as new customers under O2's fair to all policy. It's possible retentions will offer you something but I would think it's unlikely on the iphone, It may be a month or so before it's out on P&G though. Nothing lost by giving them a call when you are ready to upgrade.

Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 143456 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
In all honesty, it will account for nothing, esp in view of the fact you want to drop off contract.
Of course, no one can know for sure until you can ask O2 directly when the phone is available on PAYG - It all depends how long you wish to wait?

Currently using:
Message 6 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

You could upgrade to the iPhone 6 and go on the Refresh Tariff which are not locked in 24 month contracts.

Sell your iPhone 5 and use the funds to help pay off your iPhone 6 Handset Plan of the Refresh Tariff.

Then ask O2 to be placed on Payg with your contract number.

Typically it's 6+ months before O2 release new iPhones on Payg.
Message 7 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree with @bandofbrothers.go on a refresh contract, u can even s
Choose the option where U Pay for the handset, once that is done ask for for ur number to be migrated to pay and go.U will need a pay and go sim card.Hope this helps.
Message 8 of 8