Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Anonymous

Upgrading Simplicity contract to full contract...

Hi everyone,
Last month my 24 month iPhone contract ended. After calling up o2 and asking them why my phone bill was so high, they offered me a different tarriif that's not iphone based (lost it a few months back) as the phone I have now doesn't need the allowances I had in my iPhone tarrif. They did not mention the fact that they were secretly upgrading my previous contract to a Simplicty (which meant that I lost my unlimited data), and actually lied to me (they said that I would have 500MB data, instead I have a pathetic 100MB allowance).
My plan was to let my contract overrun until the iPhone 5 is released, but I now realise that in order to upgrade/cancel a rolling 30-day contract you have to give a month's notice. This is going to be a problem as there still isn't a concrete release date for the iPhone 5, however speculation leads to an October timeframe.
What are my options at this point in time?
TL;DR: Upgraded to simplicity tarrif, want to get back onto full contract when iPhone 5 is released; month's notice needed in order to cancel simplicity tarrif. what options do I have?
Thanks,
Justin122
P.S: Sorry if this is poorly written, it's half 12 at night and I'm very tired.
Anonymous

Re: Upgrading Simplicity contract to full contract...

You do seem to be both grabbing hold of the wrong end of the stick and at the same time making things unnecessarily complicated for yourself.
Almost everything you wrote is wrong, or a least misconstrued.
1, you did not get "secretly upgraded" or even upgraded at all. What you were offered was a straightforward tariff change to a cheaper option, which is always going to be (or should be, if the agent is switched on to good customer service) a simplicity if out of contract. This is a good thing as it saves you money while you wait for the new model to come out and is not really something to be angry about.
2 data is a bolt on tha you can change yourself online every 30 days, there are three levels available according to what people may need, 100 mb is £3, 500mb is £6 and 1gb is £10. Maybe the agent that did your change selected the wrong one, but if you do find the allowance you have "pathetic" why not just log in to your MyO2 account and change it to something else? I've done it myself as my needs have changed, it's really easy.
3 whoever told you that 30 days notice is needed if you want to upgrade is just making things up. you DO need to do this if you are cancelling and not keeping the same phone number elsewhere, but if you are upgrading or moving network you do not. To upgrade, when the time comes, just call or go into store and ask, or again log online and do it yourself. I am only 8 months I to an 18 month contract and I could upgrade online right now for a price, if I wanted to, so don't worry about that.
Hope this helps and, if your misconceptions were told to you by a friend, bin 'em Smiley Happy
Anonymous

You do seem to be both grabbing hold of the wrong end of the stick and at the same time making things unnecessarily complicated for yourself.
Almost everything you wrote is wrong, or a least misconstrued.
1, you did not get "secretly upgraded" or even upgraded at all. What you were offered was a straightforward tariff change to a cheaper option, which is always going to be (or should be, if the agent is switched on to good customer service) a simplicity if out of contract. This is a good thing as it saves you money while you wait for the new model to come out and is not really something to be angry about.
2 data is a bolt on tha you can change yourself online every 30 days, there are three levels available according to what people may need, 100 mb is £3, 500mb is £6 and 1gb is £10. Maybe the agent that did your change selected the wrong one, but if you do find the allowance you have "pathetic" why not just log in to your MyO2 account and change it to something else? I've done it myself as my needs have changed, it's really easy.
3 whoever told you that 30 days notice is needed if you want to upgrade is just making things up. you DO need to do this if you are cancelling and not keeping the same phone number elsewhere, but if you are upgrading or moving network you do not. To upgrade, when the time comes, just call or go into store and ask, or again log online and do it yourself. I am only 8 months I to an 18 month contract and I could upgrade online right now for a price, if I wanted to, so don't worry about that.
Hope this helps and, if your misconceptions were told to you by a friend, bin 'em Smiley Happy

I apologise for the post coming off as a little unnecessarily angry, things have been difficult recently. My mistake.
So I can just go in and upgrade when the next iPhone is released? Would this still apply if I renewed with a third party, e.g. The Carphone Warehouse?
Thanks,
Justin122
Anonymous

Yes, that's right. The beauty of moving to simplicity when your contract has expired is that not only do you save money but you can upgrade through all available channels as soon as you want to. At least you won't be paying extra to upgrade, as it sadly appears I won't be able to resist doing Smiley Very Happy
If you do change your bolt on online it won't affect any of this and the change will take effect on your next bill date so you could give yourself more data in the meantime. I find that I a tually used less than I thought I would so I reduced my initial bolt on for a cheaper one.
I also forgot to mention that you can add more data on a one-off basis if you need it too, if you do log in and go to manage my bolt ons you will see the choices.
Anonymous

Yes, that's right. The beauty of moving to simplicity when your contract has expired is that not only do you save money but you can upgrade through all available channels as soon as you want to. At least you won't be paying extra to upgrade, as it sadly appears I won't be able to resist doing Smiley Very Happy
If you do change your bolt on online it won't affect any of this and the change will take effect on your next bill date so you could give yourself more data in the meantime. I find that I a tually used less than I thought I would so I reduced my initial bolt on for a cheaper one.
I also forgot to mention that you can add more data on a one-off basis if you need it too, if you do log in and go to manage my bolt ons you will see the choices.

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it!
Roll on October (I hope)...
Anonymous

You're welcome