Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading SIM only and to 5G

Mike21
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I just got a 5G capable device. Do I need to upgrade my plan to be able to get 5G (I can't see any good available plans at the moment to upgrade to)

I semi progressed an upgrade earlier and the process kept asking me for my address. Isn't the upgrade instant on my current SIM? I escaped my London flat for the lockdown
Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Mike21 

You just need a new 5g SIM card as all tariffs are now 5g capable.

If you choose to upgrade online, you'll need to request a new SIM or you call get a new SIM in any O2 store. 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Mike21 

You just need a new 5g SIM card as all tariffs are now 5g capable.

If you choose to upgrade online, you'll need to request a new SIM or you call get a new SIM in any O2 store. 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 4

Mike21
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks noted. I wanted to avoid switching the SIM but seems there's no alternative.
Message 3 of 4

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Not unless your SIM was issued within the last 12 months or so.....

Currently using:
Message 4 of 4