Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade

Swatts
Level 1: Joiner
  • 9 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
My contract will allow me to upgrade on 24th December and I've seen a really good upgrade deal with O2 through mobile phones direct and was wanting to know how easy it would be to pay off my contract early and take out the new one now as think this is a limited time deal?
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@Swatts 

Go ahead and get the new contract, then call O2 to migrate your number across to it which will cancel your old contract and generate your final bill.

Guide: Migration & porting into O2  

Numbers to call O2 on Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

Or advice from an O2 Guru regarding a way to get through:
If you call 202, when it comes to the reason you are calling stay silent for 15 seconds and you will be taken to the keypad options.
Press 2 for Everything Else
Press 5 for More Options
Press 7 for Anything Else which will put you though to someone.
Say "Upgrade", "Lost/Stolen" or "Fraud" if you have to, to get put through to someone.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 19

Swatts
  • 9 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
That's sound advice and thanks for that. Am I likely to have any hassle when applying for the upgrade through mobile phones direct as i would technically already have a contract running with O2 and this would obviously be an early upgrade?
Message 3 of 19

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@Swatts 

It will be cheaper to apply for a new contract rather than an upgrade (assuning your credit is OK) and then when you migrate your number, your old O2 contract will end and you'll get your final bill.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 19

Swatts
  • 9 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
If I apply for a new contract do I need to ask for a pac code then as well?
Message 5 of 19

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@Swatts 

No, you just need to call and request that your number is migrated to the new contract.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 19

Swatts
  • 9 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
The phone I want is not available on a new contract with mobile phones direct. Its on upgrade only. Would it still be easy enough to upgrade early or am I best waiting until my contract ends??
Message 7 of 19

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@Swatts 

In my experience, you will be refused an early upgrade through a third party.

It's usually only possible if you do it directly with O2 because they can't bill you for what you owe at their checkout process.

Worth trying though to see if it works for you or not.

You could, I guess call O2 to pay off what you owe now though, which should leave you free to upgrade anywhere.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 19

Swatts
  • 9 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi..I can upgrade from 24th December but have seen a good deal on affordable mobiles which ends tonight. Was just going to take it and then pay off my existing contract as only 1 month left. However when I was putting in details on 3rd party site and gave my existing mobile no it states that my new line will be added to this account. I won’t be able to move my existing number number to my new plan. Does this mean I cannot migrate my number over when I get my new phone?
Message 9 of 19

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@Swatts 

No, it just means you can't do it now.

As I said on the other thread, you can't upgrade early through a 3rd party so it will go through as a new contract.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 19