cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I need some advice: my contract is up next month. Today, o2 text me saying that they would pay the rest of my handset off if I upgrade now. I have been looking at the Samsung Galaxy S8 but the deals o2 are presenting are not good.  The Carphone Warehouse has a much better selection of deals.

I'm stuck here - do I upgrade with o2 now and pay more for less of a deal, do I cancel my contract and go to Carphone, or do I wait out the contract and see what deals are available then?

I have asked in store about matching the deals but they said that they do not do this.

Thanks in advance slight_smile

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144362 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
If having a refresh contract is not important to you, go with the cheapest option.
You may get a small reduction from O2 if you call the re-contracts team and tell them you are thinking of leaving but it won't be a price match to CPW.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
  • 144362 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
If having a refresh contract is not important to you, go with the cheapest option.
You may get a small reduction from O2 if you call the re-contracts team and tell them you are thinking of leaving but it won't be a price match to CPW.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Thanks for your response slight_smile

So in this case do you think it would be best for me to call up, cancel (get a PAC code etc) and then just go to Carphone?

I just want the best deal - the phone I have was given on a good enough deal (as I thought) but I was constantly buying data so it was ending up costing me nearly twice as much every other month... Looking at this, I think that a good data deal would be better for me and I don't fancy paying £89 p/m D'oh!

Thanks 

Message 3 of 10

MI5
  • 144362 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
You don't need a PAC.
Just go into CPW and upgrade with them in store.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Since my contract hasn't run out yet, wouldn't I need to cancel? Or should I wait the month until its up?

Message 5 of 10

MI5
  • 144362 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
You can upgrade 1 month early, so I would at least wait until then unless you want to pay off the rest of what you owe.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
My contract is up on 10August but Carphone says I'm not eligible to upgrade yet - I assume that would be different if it was 10th Aug... I don't know much about this I really appreciate all your help
Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 144362 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
No, it's definitely 1 month early but CPW will always try and force you into taking a new contract instead as they get more commission from O2 that way.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Oh thanks!!
I didn't know this!

Thank you so much!
slight_smile
Message 9 of 10

MI5
  • 144362 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
Just be careful with CPW as they will offer cheaper contracts and then try and walk the price up with extras you don't really need.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 10