cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all 🙂 just wanted to ask a quick question really. I'm due my eat upgrade next month and know what I want to take. However, when comparing with ccarphone warehouse, the same phone, on same tariff with O2 will cost me an upfront fee of £99 from O2 direct or free from CW. Does anyone know why this is?
Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32

Anonymous
Not applicable
iPhone 5 but also have iPad Air which I prefer to use
Message 21 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
Have contacts set up on a gmail sync so no problems there
Message 22 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
No worries.

Yes I prefer to use my iPad Air too.

Happy days.
Message 23 of 33

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You'll find the S5 a very different but rewarding experience.
One other point to note is that if you buy from CPW you won't get an O2 locked and branded handset which means you will be able to use a non O2 sim card (when on holiday abroad for example) or at any other time when in the UK. Also, your phones software updates will come from Samsung directly rather than having to wait for O2 approval, which usually delays things for a month or so.
You can of course unlock an O2 phone but you will still be on O2 software even after unlocking.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 24 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes it's certainly a toss up between upgrading through O2 and having a branded handset but not locked in on Refresh, or go through CPW and have an unlocked , un branded phone but be locked in for 2 years.

Or sell the iPhone 5 to somewhere like CEX and use the funds to buy a sim free galaxy s5 from CEX (adding any shortfall) and drop to a sim only contract.
Message 25 of 33

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
The S5 is currently £460-480 on refresh or £520 sim free from CPW, so cheaper to buy on refresh and pay off your handset immediately.
You are then effectively on a 1 month rolling contract with O2 which can be cancelled at any time you wish.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 26 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
Exciting times ahead for the OP especially with moving from one platform / device to another.
Message 27 of 33

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It sure will be slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 28 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
They have made the right choice switching from iphone wink
Message 29 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for all your help 🙂
Message 30 of 33