Did you mean: 

Upgrade

SJ79
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi

I am wanting to upgrade both of my daughter's phones as a Christmas present. They are both linked to my account and I am the main account holder. I do not want them to aware of this upgrade so I don't want them to recieve any text messages about the upgrade - they can come to me. I did this when upgrading their phones 2 years ago but have been told today that this is not possible. I cannot be the only person wanting this? Is this possible?

Thank you

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@SJ79 

No it's not possible anymore I'm afraid.

O2 send security texts to the number being upgraded.

All you can do is think of excuses as to why they would be receiving messages.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@SJ79 

No it's not possible anymore I'm afraid.

O2 send security texts to the number being upgraded.

All you can do is think of excuses as to why they would be receiving messages.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 6

SJ79
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
That seems really silly to me and basically rules out new phones as a Christmas present which can't be a great marketing or sales move!
I'm not sure there is a plausible excuse for receiving an upgrade text when you've asked for a new phone!!!
Do you know when the text is sent? I'm just thinking if it can come on a night I could delete before it's seen.
Thank you for your help - I do realise you are not O2!!
Message 3 of 6

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11992 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Not knowing the wording of the text you could fib and say you are moving them on to another tariff...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 4 of 6

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions
@SJ79

I dont agree with it being silly, its done to protect customers from fraud. Inconvenient yes.

The texts are to do with the Tariff Changes that are part of the upgrade process. so it will tell them about the spend cap, and to select new extras. They will also get one about about bolt-ons as well
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 5 of 6

SJ79
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I get the security issue if this was the main account but I am the acocunt holder and not my daughter so the security chould be done through myself anyway and not them. 

Message 6 of 6