Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade scam

sheffnick
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Twice in less than two months, I have received telephone calls from 0344 8090202 purporting to be from O2 in relation to a new phone which has been charged to my account.  On both occasions, I have rung via 202 to check the validity and realised this is a potential fraud.  Why isn't O2 doing something about someone else using the O2 customer service number to dial out and commit fraud?  I have resorted to blocking this number (I understand from customer services that O2 does not ring out on it anyway).  

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@sheffnick 

Scammers can spoof any number they want and they are almost impossible to trace or stop.

You should still pass all details onto O2 to invetigate though.

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/safety-and-security/phishing-and-smishing-advice

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@sheffnick 

Scammers can spoof any number they want and they are almost impossible to trace or stop.

You should still pass all details onto O2 to invetigate though.

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/safety-and-security/phishing-and-smishing-advice

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 4

sheffnick
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks @MI5. I’ve reported it twice now. I hope other O2 users don’t face the same issue.
Message 3 of 4

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

Hopefully not @sheffnick 

Currently using:
Message 4 of 4