Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Anonymous

Upgrade options - are they different to new customers?

As the title suggests, my contract runs out next month and so i'd be looking at upgrading online, but looking through the options available to new customers, there isn't a lot that appeals to me. What I'm wondering is if the upgrade section, when i'm eligible to use it, is specific to me, and if there are better deals for longer term members (three years in my case)? If my choices are the same as new customers, i'll probably be switching to another operator, because 200 minutes, 400 texts and 1MB browse/download for £25 really doesn't cut it nowadays.

Thanks
Highlighted
Anonymous

Yes you should be able to use the online upgrades now if you follow the process given. There is no commitment to take anything on offer through the online website so feel free to take a look.
The bad news is that you probably will be disappointed as it doesn't offer that much more over a new customer but it's been like that for quite a long while for everyone regardless of how long you have been with O2. You could go Simplicity (no phone) which offers value and will save you money - £20 gets you the web-bolt on plus more mins and texts.
There is nothing stopping you ringing up O2 and seeing what they have but be warned, unless you have spent way over your normal tariff they are unlikely to offer something.

Thanks for the response.

Well I can't look until the 14th I think it is, as that is the day my contract is up in February. I was thinking of going simplicity as it seems to be much better value, but of course that means having to buy a phone myself or sticking with my current one, a W760i, which is pretty dated now.

Do you know what It means by 'Browse the internet on your mobile for up to £1 per day'. That doesn't seem a very relative measure to me on web usage, how am I meant to work out how much data that is?
Highlighted
Anonymous

'Browse the internet on your mobile for up to £1 per day' means that you can use the internet as much as you like but o2 won't charge you more than a £1 for that days usage.

Bearing in mind that doesn't mean they charge you £1 as soon as you use data, if you use 25p worth then you'll get charged 25p. However, if you use £3 worth then, because of the cap on the data charge, you won't get charged any more than £1.

To get the best deal you're best calling up and ask to speak to retentions because you're thinking of cancelling. If I were you I'd look about online at what other operators are offering so you're armed with an example of what you may leave them to get if they don't present you with a tempting deal.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Thanks. I think unless they magically offer me a decent deal similar to the other operators i'll be leaving. Their phone choice, if you don't want an iPhone or Blackberry as I don't, is pretty poor and as mentioned above, I don't think much to their tarriffs either.

To end the contract i just need to call them in the last month and request the PAC code, right?
Highlighted
Anonymous

Hmm, I thought you got access to the upgrade section 1 month before your contract is up? My contract is up on Feb 14th, today is obviously Jan 14th, but it won't let me in, say's i'm not eligible yet. Have I just got to wait until later today or tomorrow?
Highlighted
Anonymous

Don't upgrade online.

Get through to retentions, it's free on 202 from your handset It's option 2 then 2 then 2 again. Badger them about what they can offer to stop you leaving O2. I just got a 32 Gig iphone for free instead of paying £175 online.
They'll usually either reduce your monthly payments, offer more calls and texts or a better phone. Try to go for all 3, especially as you've been with O2 for 3 years.

There are some good deals out there. I got the Nokia 5800 from Carphone warehouse for my son for £15 a month on O2, 100 mins and unlimited texts. Just needed to port his number and it only took 24 hours.

Best of luck.

Ian
Highlighted
Anonymous

Yeah I checked out the online upgrades today, and they're terrible. There is literally only one phone that interests me, and to get that free online i'd need a £40 pm contract.

I'll give retentions a go.
Highlighted
Anonymous

I just upgraded online I'm still in the 14days cooling period.

I'm on a 25 a month tariff and paid £100 for the nokia n86. I'm looking at the 30month tariff with the free web bolt on and the nokia is free. If I call up and change from 25 to 30 tariff will they refund my £100? :robotindifferent:
Highlighted
Anonymous

Ok I called retentions, got nothing and now have my PAC code. I have a question though, when should I actually apply to T-Mobile with it? The code is valid until my contract end date, February 14th, so should I just apply for the T-Mobile contracy about a week before that? I obviously still have to pay 02 for the last month up to the 14th, but I don't get exactly how the switch over works. I obviously don't want to be paying for both at the same time.
Highlighted
Anonymous

I just upgraded online I'm still in the 14days cooling period.
I'm on a 25 a month tariff and paid £100 for the nokia n86. I'm looking at the 30month tariff with the free web bolt on and the nokia is free. If I call up and change from 25 to 30 tariff will they refund my £100? :robotindifferent:

If it is within 14 days then yes you would get a refund. You will obviously need to phone them about this though.