Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade early

farmerphil
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi I've been told I can upgrade early as they will pay my remaining contract off as part of an offer, I usually get my upgrades from mobiles uk but stay with O2

Can I get my new phone  with a new O2 2 year contract extension from mobilesuk?

Thanks for any help

Message 1 of 41
40 REPLIES 40

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

As said @Anonymous once you choose to upgrade, you effectively end your old contract and start a new one. Whether you like the phone on your new contract is irrelevant

A guide to Refresh here

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/How-does-O2-Refresh-work/ba-p/1014093

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 21 of 41

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well it is relevant as that was what my question was about - what happens if I cancel within the 14 days cooling off period of the new upgrade contract.

Message 22 of 41

MI5
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Well it is relevant as that was what my question was about - what happens if I cancel within the 14 days cooling off period of the new upgrade contract.

There's nothing specific in the T&C's that cover your scenario exactly, so you should check with customer services on 202 or I'll tag @Marjo @Martin-O2 or @EmilieT to check for you.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 23 of 41

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Then this is the info you need to check up on @Anonymous

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/our-change-of-mind-policy

Also you may want to try out a few phones instore so you have a better idea of what you want and need...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 24 of 41

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks - I checked that before posting as it didn't make it very clear. It seems I would just get out of my current contract early and be free to do whatever, from what that says.

Message 25 of 41

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I can't see O2 just allowing you to walk away if you return the phone and I'm sure they will have something in place for this. As it doesn't cover that on the website it is something you need to check with customer service. Personally I would expect that they would be asking you for the remainder of the previous contract as the offer is for upgrade only. Best to call them and find out rather than us guessing.

Message 26 of 41

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's what I thought. Seems like a big loophole if so, and they must get customers doing it all the time. Seems odd that there's no mention of it anywhere on the website.

I've just spoken to O2 Live Chat and they said that my old contract would be put back in place... but somehow I don't think it would as that contradicts what it says on the website about the upgrade fee (if there is one, which there isn't in my case) being non-refundable. They wouldn't be able to reinstate the old contract in those cases?

I'm tempted to try it just to see what happens. Worst case I end up back where I am.

Message 27 of 41

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Worst case is you end up with a phone you don't like and with a limited range of alternate devices.

Message 28 of 41

MI5
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You need to call as we've said, not use live chat.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 29 of 41

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just spoke to someone in the upgrade team and they confirmed that if I upgrade today for free, and then cancelled the new contract within the 14 day cooling off period because I don't like the phone, I would effectively be ending my current contract 4 months early with no penalty.

I'm guessing they're relying on most people not playing the system that way. If O2s selection of phones was better (and better priced) this wouldn't have even entered my mind.

Message 30 of 41