Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade/Sim Swapping

petemc1878
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
We have upgraded one of our two phone numbers. The new phone has a 5g sim, however the number we upgraded is my number but my partner is going to use the phone and will of course need the new sim. So we need to swap her number to the new sim and leave my number on my current sim. Is this easy to do? Will o2 CS on the phone be able to do this for us?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Just call and ask for a 5g sim for your partner - don't swap the numbers on the sims as this will close one of the accounts!!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 2 of 8

petemc1878
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Ahh amazing! So if I just request a new sim (5g compatible obviously) for my partners number when we get the new phone and new sim I can just use the 5g sim in my current phone without having 5g capabilities?
Message 3 of 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@petemc1878 

A 5g sim will work on 4g fine.

All new o2 sims are 5g compatible so you can upgrade all your sims if you wish at the same time.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 8

petemc1878
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Right that’s good to know! I’m going to be using my current phone (iPhone XS Max) but it’s my contract number that’s being upgraded to the 12 Pro but my partner is going to use the new phone. So when the new one arrives, do i just need to ring o2 and ask for a 5G sim for her number? And I’ll use the 5G sim that arrives with the new phone as that’s linked to my number currently?

Also - how do I request a 5G sim or a new sim in general. I can’t seem to find it on my o2
Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@petemc1878 

The sim that arrives will be blank so you can use it to swap your partners number to Guide: Sim Swap: a mini guide 2017 update 

You can just keep using your current sim in your current phone.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 8

petemc1878
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Oh amazing! So the sim with the new phone can be sim swapped for my partner! That’s such good news as the phones arriving tomorrow and we thought we’d have to wait for a new sim
Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

Yes @petemc1878 

she just needs to start the sim swap from her old sim card.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 8