Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade - Sim Swap Problem

AJMacKay
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Received my upgrade phone from Mobile Phones Direct yesterday. Followed the directions on the new sim rather than the instructions from MPD - which means that I did a sim-swap rather than waiting for the service to come on-line by itself. This appears to have swapped my current contract onto the new sim, which isn't what I wanted.

Contacted o2 via chat - who advised me that I need to get the mobile number for my new sim so that they can swap everything for me. Is this right? I gave them the Sim number, but still told that they need the mobile number.

Can anyone advise, or has anyone had a similar issue?

Thanks

Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@AJMacKay 

Yes, O2 can give you a new SIM. 

Easiest way to ensure you get the correct account details on it would be to go in store and do it face to face. 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@AJMacKay 

Yeah, you've right messed that up wink

Yes, you will need the mobile number that MPD allocated to your new contract and I would advise that you call o2 cust service, rather than using chat, when you get it. 

Guide: How to find help & contact O2 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 14

AJMacKay
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

That's what I thought. Bu**er.

Thanks for the reply - and confirming that I am an idiot frowning2

Maybe one day I'll upgrade without any issues......

Andrew

Message 3 of 14

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

We're always here to help mate tongue_winking

Don't worry. It's not the end of the world !

Currently using:
Message 4 of 14

AJMacKay
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks. Appreciate the reassurance!
Message 5 of 14

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hey @AJMacKay , welcome to our community! Sorry to hear you were having an issue with your upgrade. I hope everything gets sorted with customer service in the end, but don't hesitate to come back to let us know how you're getting on, and in case you get stuck with anything.

Thanks for the advice @MI5 ! slight_smile

Message 6 of 14

AJMacKay
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Bit of an update:

Got an email from MPD asking me to return my new phone. When I asked if there was any other way of sorting, they suggested asking O2 to reverse the sim swap. Called O2 and they did that almost immediately, so I now have my old phone working again (which is "a good thing").

MPD are supposedly trying to reconnect my new phone/sim, but the phone is telling me that the sim isn't provisioned, which I assume means that it's not being recognised as an active sim on the O2 network. Will MPD be able to sort this out, or is there anything I should do with O2 to help resolve this?

Thanks

Andrew

Message 7 of 14

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I would imagine that MPD will have to activate a new sim with their original contract number.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 14

AJMacKay
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5Thanks again for your replies. Much appreciated.

Message 9 of 14

AJMacKay
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5Since you've been so helpful.....grin

My upgrade appears to have gone through, i.e my account is showing the new allowances etc, but my new phone still isn't connected, and it's still showing the Sim not provisioned message. Suspect that reversing the sim-swap has probably disabled the SIM in my new phone.

MPD are now saying that I need to get a replacement SIM from O2, then (ironically) do a sim-swap. Will O2 just give me a new SIM? Or should MPD be giving me the new SIM? I want to avoid going back and forward with MPD (who have been pretty helpful tbh) and O2 (who have also been helpful), so any advice/experience that anyone here could offer would be gtratefully received.

Have to say that my experience on the O2 community has been pretty impressive!

Andrew

Message 10 of 14