Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Ruined by Fraud Team

MrFrenzy
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 31 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
So I spent an hour on live chat with the upgrade team who were very helpful and gave a good deal I was happy with. They sent me a link to proceed to place my order.

Did so and managed to do a 'click and collect now' in a store near where I work.

It sent a code to my phone and obviously over live chat I had to pass security and also sign into my o2 to do the upgrade. I get the confirmation of order that it's ready to collect and as I walk in the store another text saying 'your order has been cancelled at your request'.

Turns out the minute I placed the order and it went through, the o2 fraud team cancelled the order and immediately blocked my service. They closed at 6pm so have to wait till they open at 8am to fix it.

I know they have to be careful but I needed photo ID to collect the phone anyway and surely the purpose of the security codes ECT is to avoid this and to verify it's the real customer!

I did use my partners card for the upfront cost but never had this cause an issue before. The store claimed it was because my postcode is a distance from the store and that it flags as fraud. Can people not collect from stores near their workplace?!

FRUSTRATED is an understatement....
Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I guess a call to customer service to explain should result in the issue being cleared and a note placed on your account.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

That's a dreadful experience and I'm sure as customers we all sympathise with you. Yes all those safeguards are in place such as ID and sms codes but I can see it from both sides. 

O2 would maybe think that because your workplace is so far from your home address coupled with the fact you used a card not in your name, it is possible your phone could have been stolen or/and your account may have been compromised. Hence the barring of the phone and the transaction suspended until they had contacted you. 

Obviously you are angry and frustrated, as anyone on the community would be if in the same situation. I hope you will thus sorted out in the morning. Good luck 🤞 

Message 2 of 14

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I guess a call to customer service to explain should result in the issue being cleared and a note placed on your account.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 14

MrFrenzy
  • 31 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Called today at 8am as advised yesterday. The fraud team don't open till 8.30 (So last night's agent gave me wrong info)...

After almost 30 mins on hold I get cold transferred to the fraud team. Couldn't explain why they cancelled my order and blocked my service. No apology at all or even an explanation that it's to protect my account or anything like that that you'd expect.

Fast forward to another hour on live chat getting them to recreate the same deal for me and it says I've reached the maximum One Time Passcide usage so can't collect in store. Gave option to deliver tonight between 6 and 10 which is quite convenient to be fair... but that set me back another tenner.

I'll be making a complaint. I do feel I've been given the run around. Only staying with o2 for the refresh part and ability to upgrade yearly.
Message 4 of 14

MrFrenzy
  • 31 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
By the way thanks for your input
Message 5 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122355 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @MrFrenzy If you wish to make a complaint use this link https://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

Go through Resolver. Apparently gets good results Resolver

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 14

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Good luck and hope you get it tonight.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 14

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Bad experience again but at least the delivery time is convenient for you. I just hope that the courier doesn't let you down today. Good luck but definitely make a complaint. Hopefully you will get a gesture of goodwill to compensate you. 

Message 8 of 14

MrFrenzy
  • 31 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Cheers guys I appreciate your advice. I will hopefully update this later from my New phone wink
Message 9 of 14

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22938 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

I've read through this thread and I don't understand why the OP would think that there wouldn't be a problem using someone else's card to make the purchase? The computer doesn't know that the card belongs to their partner, and the request was made to pick up at a post code away from their nearest store, so why wouldn't it be flagged as a possible fraud? Maybe it's just me, but I think the problem was the result of the OP's own making, and they shouldn't be blaming the fraud department for doing their job.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 10 of 14