cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Options Bizarre

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sure many others have felt this way but I cannot understand how I can take out a new contract with O2 via the Carphone Warehouse, pay less per month plus less of a one off payment for the phone than I can as a customer of o2 for 8 years whose contract was up in February.

O2 'Live' customer service even asked me last night if I wanted to hold for an hour when I asked how this was so - and then, even though they were no help whatsoever offered me 20% off accessories?

I am sure I am not the only one with these thoughts.  To be honest I have never had a problem with o2 but cannot understand how this works.  The refresh price plans to me are a 'con' and seem nice with bright lights but make little difference.  A 12, 18 or 24 month contract doesn't bother me its just them not wanting to keep my custom?

Any tips at all guys?

Thanks

Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

How can Refresh be a con?

Pay off the phone only and it stops your contract so you can start again, or continue as before.

Some con! Smiley Indifferent

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

How can Refresh be a con?

Pay off the phone only and it stops your contract so you can start again, or continue as before.

Some con! Smiley Indifferent

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Message 2 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

excellent thank you

Maybe 'con' the wrong word - thank you for pointing out my idiocracy

Message 3 of 14

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Well from the feedback on here people are falling over themselves to get onto Refresh contracts.

Message 4 of 14

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
3rd parties discount the handsets to get customers and try to sell you add ons like insurance etc that they get a cut from.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

i'd recommend speaking to someone over chat. However always remember that O2 as a network doesnt always have the ability to offer deals that you can see from a 3rd party reseller.

If cost is your bottom line then that may be the best choice for you. However consider its 8 years of good cs (id assume) they have the extra benifits and its an O2 device if you get it direct from O2, if you purchase from a reseller then you will have to deal with them if your handset is faulty

hope it helps

Message 6 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

I deffo would not recommend speaking to anybody on O2's chat they honestly do not have a clue, and I had tremendous problems with them trying to sort out my deal when I joined the pay monthly plan from my existing Pay As You Go. The only way I got that sorted out was via phoning O2 themselves.

The deals on O2's website are a complete joke and over 50% more than what you would pay for the same deal at Carphone Warehouse. The same goes for O2's new plan of changing you phone when you want to plan. Never think its free, it will cost you a damn site more to go on such a plan.

If you want to upgrade your phone with O2 do it at Carphone Warehouse and not here, cause the prices on O2's site are outdated by over a year, and you will get completely ripped off by going along with them.

Message 7 of 14

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

The same goes for O2's new plan of changing you phone when you want to plan. Never think its free, it will cost you a damn site more to go on such a plan.

O2 refresh can save a great deal of money, I don't think you have understood how it works.

Message 8 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

O2's so called Refresh Plan is for those who want to spend loads of money to have the latest phones, people who want to pay ridiculous monthly amounts of cash from £37 - £52 a month as an example just for a mobile phone. Honestly you could of brought your own house years ago for this much money, and now people want to spend it on silly little gadgets that will never make a computer by the way, or be as good as one. I would even consider a Galaxy Tab 2 Pad a lot better than any phone on the market if you want something to play with, and it will cost you a damn site cheaper to do such a thing. So just who the hell is saving any money here? Answer those with more money than sense.

Message 9 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

O2's so called Refresh Plan is for those who want to spend loads of money to have the latest phones, people who want to pay ridiculous monthly amounts of cash from £37 - £52 a month as an example just for a mobile phone. Honestly you could of brought your own house years ago for this much money, and now people want to spend it on silly little gadgets that will never make a computer by the way, or be as good as one. I would even consider a Galaxy Tab 2 Pad a lot better than any phone on the market if you want something to play with, and it will cost you a damn site cheaper to do such a thing. So just who the hell is saving any money here? Answer those with more money than sense.

The more you pay up front for the phone, the more of a discount O2 will give you on the full price for it.

So you, as a customer, are saving money in relation to the same priced contract on a normal tariff.

As for the cost of handsets - feel free to complain to Apple, Samsung, HTC etc. about how much they charge for their phones and how this dictates the market. But, regardless of what you feel about smartphones - it is obvious people want them as almost everyone has one.

I don't understand tablets, but I wouldn't claim that those who want them are silly as they are obviously very popular.

Message 10 of 14