Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updates

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi all... its been a few days since I contacted you and I bet you all hoped I had got the hang of my new Samsung S3? (laughs hysterically... I am getting there VERY slowly!!) However I keep getting info about new updates for the phone which I am clueless about. So, what is Samsung Push exactly and what is Dropbox? (I did warn you when I joined this forum that I was an 'elderly' technophobe.):smileyfrustrated:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Samsung Push Service is an application that sends you "push notifications" about apps and offers on Samsung Apps (those that appear in your notifications bar with the Samsung Apps icon).

You can uninstall it but everytime you run Samsung Apps it reinstalls it.

You can deactivate the service in Samsung Apps: menu > settings > uncheck "send push notifications".

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

People who make apps update them regularly to fix any issues there are or put in new features. These updates will then be pushed through to your phone where it will either automatically download or ask you if you want to download. (This is when you get the little symbol in the top left).

So you should always install the updates to make the apps better (although I would advise waiting until you are in a wifi area as the updates do use data).

Whenever you install an app on Playstore it gives you the option to tick 'Automatic Update' if you want it to do it itself without you having to be reminded.

As for the apps themselves - dropbox is an app where you can put stuff in like pictures and music and then any phone or computer you use, just download dropbox and your stuff is there. It's handy for backing up your content in case you ever lose or replace your phone.

Samsung Apps is basic apps which come with the phone from Samsung - Can't tell you what exactly as I've never used it! 

Message 2 of 7

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Samsung Push Service is an application that sends you "push notifications" about apps and offers on Samsung Apps (those that appear in your notifications bar with the Samsung Apps icon).

You can uninstall it but everytime you run Samsung Apps it reinstalls it.

You can deactivate the service in Samsung Apps: menu > settings > uncheck "send push notifications".

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Message 3 of 7

Cleoriff
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Thanks Opium, for info re Dropbox, though the other update I queried is called Samsung Push... and that seems to come in as a reminder quite regularly?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry - I forgot you wrote Push. Perksie's info is good and that will stop it coming through so often slight_smile

Message 5 of 7

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions
Sorry Perksie, sent my reply to Opium before i saw this reply of yours. So Push isn't that important then?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 7

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

No you can deactivate it if it annoys you, but you may miss some Samsung updates.

Message 7 of 7