cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unwanted / random premium rate message appearing on bill.

Shafreya
Level 1: Joiner
  • 11 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi there.

Last month I had a premium rate message of £2.50 applied to my bill from 64404. I had neither requested any service or signed up to any service. I got in contact with the live chat who, against my wishes to text the number as I did not want any contact with a service I had never asked for in the first place, eventually got me to text STOP to the number and promised it would be barred from happening again. I have the chat log email to back this up.

Exactly one month on again I have had the exact same text message come through to my phone again, and another £2.50 premium rate charge applied to my bill.

Now obviously I am quite annoyed that 1) it happened in the first place, and 2) it’s happened after the agent promised it would be barred from happening again.

Where do I stand with this? What can be done to fix it? The agent on th live chat said I could not have a blanket ban for all premium rate numbers as it’s not possible (I have never or will never need any premium rate service) but I feel this is the only option that would satisfy me as I do not want random companies able to charge me for no reason. Failing this my only other option is going to be to cancel my services as I do not wish for this to be able to happen to me ever again, more-so after being promised it would not.

Any help or advice from the community and staff would be appreciated.
Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Shafreya follow the help here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Have-you-fallen-for-or-been-conned-into-a-premium-rate-s... and here https://payforitsucks.co.uk/

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Shafreya follow the help here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Have-you-fallen-for-or-been-conned-into-a-premium-rate-s... and here https://payforitsucks.co.uk/

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 11

Shafreya
  • 11 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I shall have a look at that tomorrow in-depth as it looks a lot of reading.

A quick skim says O2 cannot apply an inbound block though, and that is a deal breaker now as it’s happened twice in succession after being promised it wouldn’t.
Message 3 of 11

Shafreya
  • 11 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
And thank you for that M15, can’t edit I think?
Message 4 of 11

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
We're told that it is possible to apply a premium rate bar and you can also disable charge to mobile billing.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 11

Shafreya
  • 11 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I will have to give o2 a call (or is it possible instore as that would be a lot easier) to discuss that.

Interestingly (reading into it while walking home) I’m meant to call up the company and ask why I’m being charged? Don’t call me a cynic but the service checker says they are a Cyprus company texting me about football odds? Now I use very VERY few sites on the internet. And do not click adverts and the like. But I can categorically say I have no interest in football. Why would I want to call a company across the globe to potentially get scammed out far more money? I’m not interested in a refund, I just want companies abilities to charge me to cease.

The other interesting thing I’ve read is that I was charged again this month because of wrong information (and promised) given to me by o2. I was reluctant to text STOP to the number (64404) as I never solicited them charging me and I did not want to fall for a scam of getting charged by then actually messaging them. I was told to do this by the o2 agent and as per first post I did actually do it.

Saga (14:56:06): Please send Text 'STOP' to 64404. Allow up to 24 hours
for the messages to stop. This is usually free but can cost the maximum
of a standard rate message.

Jamie (14:57:08): As I did not solicit this I do no feel comfortable
messaging them

Jamie (14:57:14): I do not want any more charges

As documented above. Now the website provided by M15 says to text STOP ALL (not just STOP), which I have just done and I have been text back by the number saying I won’t recieve any more texts. Hopefully this works but I won’t find out for a month. I would like a more permanent block put across the board for my number.
Message 6 of 11

jonsie
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You really need to call customer service Live chat are totally unreliable for things like this. I doubt they even have access to the correct system to apply a premium bar. What they are good at is telling you what you want to know. Call them early morning around 8.30am.

Message 7 of 11

jonsie
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

The PSA has the following information about the shortcode number below:-

64404 Customer care number

0333 344 1902

Customer care email

support@oddsio.co.uk

Customer care website

Goldeness Holding Ltd has not provided this information

Search result provided by

Goldeness Holding Ltd

Service connected on

20 November 2018

Service terminated on

This service is still operating

Name of service

Oddsio

Type of service

Service description

How much does this service cost?

If you would like to find out more about this service or have a question about it, then you should contact the service provider below.

Goldeness Holding Ltd
Μykinon, 15
Limassol
Cyprus

Message 8 of 11

Shafreya
  • 11 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
At the time last month the whole fiasco with the network going down had just happened so calling was next to impossible to call, that’s why I tried the live chat. I will have to find time to call up so this can be resolved.
Message 9 of 11

Shafreya
  • 11 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I did look the above up. The messages I recieved were about football odds (i don’t follow football at all) so I first thought it was spam until I saw the charge on the bill.

Thanks for the help.
Message 10 of 11