cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unsolicited text from 78484

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I have a problem. I received in the middle of the night ( 1 and 2 AM ) 3 text msg from 78484 with some stupid contest or something like that. I don`t know what happened, who enroled me in this contest, i just want them to stop. I`ve read online that is a scam and they will charge me for every text that they send. How can this be possible ??

Message 1 of 18
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi and Welcome to the forum.

They get your number via different avenues such as you filling in online forms , any other competition you may have entered ,and by buying lists of numbers etc.

O2 link on dealing with spam is http://www.o2.co.uk/help/everything-else/unwanted-calls-and-messages

Phonepayplus says :

PhonepayPlus has the following information about shortcode number:

Customer care number: 0207 921 5562
Customer care email: customercare@mgage.com
Search result provided by: Mobile Interactive Group Limited
Service connected on: 02 November 2011
Service terminated on: This service is still operating
Name of service: 78484 - 02079215562
Type of service: Mobile Interactive Group Limited has not provided this information
Service description: Interactive service
How much does this service cost? 1.5
If you would like to find out more about this service or have a question about it then you should contact Mobile Interactive Group Limited
The Tower Building
7th Floor
11 York Road
London
SE1 7NX
If you want to log a complaint to PhonepayPlus online please click here. Alternatively, you can call our helpline on 0800 500 212 (Mon-Fri, 0900-1700).

http://www.phonepayplus.org.uk/Number-Checker/Check-a-Number-Results.aspx

You should try ringing the Company to ask for the contact to stop.

It's important you check your bill if your on Pay Monthly via your Myo2 or by ringing Customer Services on 202 to ensure no charge has been levied.

You can also ask them to place a bar on your account called Charge to Mobile (Direct to Bill) so a company cannot charge your account.

If your on Payg again check in your myo2 to ensure none of your credit has been taken.

If it has then complain to the company and or phonepayplus to get the charges returned.

Let us know how you get on.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi and Welcome to the forum.

They get your number via different avenues such as you filling in online forms , any other competition you may have entered ,and by buying lists of numbers etc.

O2 link on dealing with spam is http://www.o2.co.uk/help/everything-else/unwanted-calls-and-messages

Phonepayplus says :

PhonepayPlus has the following information about shortcode number:

Customer care number: 0207 921 5562
Customer care email: customercare@mgage.com
Search result provided by: Mobile Interactive Group Limited
Service connected on: 02 November 2011
Service terminated on: This service is still operating
Name of service: 78484 - 02079215562
Type of service: Mobile Interactive Group Limited has not provided this information
Service description: Interactive service
How much does this service cost? 1.5
If you would like to find out more about this service or have a question about it then you should contact Mobile Interactive Group Limited
The Tower Building
7th Floor
11 York Road
London
SE1 7NX
If you want to log a complaint to PhonepayPlus online please click here. Alternatively, you can call our helpline on 0800 500 212 (Mon-Fri, 0900-1700).

http://www.phonepayplus.org.uk/Number-Checker/Check-a-Number-Results.aspx

You should try ringing the Company to ask for the contact to stop.

It's important you check your bill if your on Pay Monthly via your Myo2 or by ringing Customer Services on 202 to ensure no charge has been levied.

You can also ask them to place a bar on your account called Charge to Mobile (Direct to Bill) so a company cannot charge your account.

If your on Payg again check in your myo2 to ensure none of your credit has been taken.

If it has then complain to the company and or phonepayplus to get the charges returned.

Let us know how you get on.
Message 2 of 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143417 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
A guide written by one of our community members here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Are-you-fed-up-with-spam-calls-and-texts-Follow-...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 18

davethorp
Level 21: Regular
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

As it's come from a shortcode it should respond to the "STOP ALL" command if you text that to it

Message 4 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
But why in this day and age are these people still getting away with this
Message 5 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Loopholes most probably.
Message 6 of 18

MI5
  • 143417 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Because they can.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 18

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Until legislation is tightened these moneygrabbers will continue their explotation of the unsuspecting public.

Message 8 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous and welcome to the community! Great advice from the members (as always!)

I hope you find it useful, let us know how you get on or if you have any other questions. 

Message 9 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys for help. For now the msgs stoped, let`s hope forever. Again thank you !

Message 10 of 18