Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking question with a slight twist.

tullyhubbert
Level 3: Thinker
  • 102 Posts
  • 14 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm a SIM only O2 customer, have been with them for years.

I've seen an 'Unwanted upgrade' O2 supplied Lumia 925 phone for sale locally. I need an unlocked phone as for two weeks per year I use a foreign SIM. I also want a phone that's 4G capable (My Lumia 620 is not) The price is quite good.

If I were to purchase the phone would O2 supply me an unlock code (Free) using the link below or would they only supply this to the original owner?

https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%20Form

Thanks.

Message 1 of 19
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

As a monthly customer you will be able to get it unlocked free. As stated previously just make a few calls with your sim in before using the unlock form.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

As a P&G customer it would have to be on the network for 12 months before O2 would unlock it.

The original owner could get it unlocked if he was a contract customer (presumably he is as it's an upgrade).

Message 2 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
You would need to either use the phone with an O2 contract sim in make some calls to latch the imei of the phone to your o2 account and request the unlock.

Or get a payg sim and top up by £20 and make some chargeable calls leaving £15 on it to pay the unlocking fee again by filling out the form. ( t& c apply)

Or if you know someone with an O2 contract as them to insert their SIM card, again make the calls to latch and they request the unlock.
Message 3 of 19

MI5
  • 144096 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
The 12 month rule shouldn't apply as the phone is originally a contract phone. You can use your PAYG sim and it will take £15 from your credit (use the phone first though with your sim) or if you mean you are on a Simplicity tariff it will be free for you.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 19

tullyhubbert
Level 3: Thinker
  • 102 Posts
  • 14 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not a PAYG )2 customer, I'm SIM only (300 O2-O2/300 any net/unlimited txts/250MB data) which I think qualifies me as a pay monthly customer?

If I could unlock for free then I'd maybe buy it, if I have to start involving other people I'll give it a miss.

Thanks.

Message 5 of 19

jonsie
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

As a monthly customer you will be able to get it unlocked free. As stated previously just make a few calls with your sim in before using the unlock form.

Message 6 of 19

MI5
  • 144096 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Yes, to back up and confirm what jonsie says above, it will be free for you to unlock.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @tullyhubbert

Your most welcome.

As I said earlier just put the contract sim in it and make some calls and then fill out the form.
Message 8 of 19

tullyhubbert
  • 102 Posts
  • 14 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks all, picking a new 925 up this evening. I should probably start a new thread but hopefully someone who knows can answer me a couple of quick questions.

Currently using an old O2 SIM that was chopped to micro SIM size manually. Today I ordered a 4G capable micro SIM from an O2 Guru (Thanks Nick) online, should be delivered in 2-3 days. I intend using my Lumia 620 Windows Phone until the new SIm arrives and then I'll start using the 925.

So questions:

My plan is to log in to my Windows phone account and remove the 620 and do a reset on it. I should still be able to make calls, send texts and surf with my current SIM. Is this correct?

Then without inserting a SIM into the new 925 I should be able to associate it with my Microsoft account and download all the contacts, apps, emails etc that I normally use and have it fully set up in readiness for the new SIM arriving early next week. Is this also correct?

Thanks.

Message 9 of 19

MI5
  • 144096 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Yes, that will work OK for you.
When your new sim arrives do the sim swap and allow up to 24 hours for all services to settle down and come on line fully.....
http://swapmysim.o2.co.uk/

Currently using:
Message 10 of 19