Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking query

beachmat
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I bought a used Samsung phone which the seller told me was bought from O2 and reckoned was locked. I've decided to sell it on so would like to know for sure it's locked or not, but unfortunately don't have a non-O2 SIM to check it properly. I did the unlocking request in the O2 app but they said they couldn't do it because it's not an O2 device. What does that actually mean? If it was bought from O2, then presumably that it's not locked? Or is it possible that their system is not detecting it as O2 because it's not in use? I only installed my SIM card in it for a short time, and did the unlock request from another phone, which is why I thought that might be the case.

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

@beachmat 

That usually means it's not locked but the only way to be sure is by trying a different sim in it.

You can order free payg sims from all the networks websites to see if they are accepted by the phone.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 4

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@beachmat If the phone was purchased from O2 after August 2018 then it shouldn't be locked, but the only way to be sure is to try a different network's sim.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 4

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Deleted by me.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 4