Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Anonymous

Unlocking an iPhone

Hi all. Bought an iPhone off eBay about 4 years ago and it was locked to O2. Owner had it on contract then. When I received it it had a crack on charging port and apple gave me a replacement. They stuck a new IMEI number over the original one on the box. The phone is still locked to O2 and I've been using it on PAYG. I'd like it unlocked now and realise if you are on PAYG you have to pay £15 but will they recognise the old IMEI or the new one. I'm not sure and don't want to waste my money. Also, I don't have my O2 sim now as I changed to giff gaff but I think they send you an unlock code to an O2 sim as I don't think it will recognise the giff gaff mobile number. Any help would be appreciated guys and gals.
Highlighted
Topics: 129
Kudos: 236
Blog Posts: 1
Solutions: 42

Re: Unlocking an iPhone

The IMEI is to do with the phone and if it's network locked they are bound together. So the first thing you need to do is, locate your IMEI number. Under Settings > General > About. It should contain all the relevant information you need to send to O2.

Then go to https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%20Form

This should get you started.

Leave your candy-colored cans in the toy chest and try a pair of proper headphones.
Highlighted

Hold on Giff Gaff using the O2 network?

You can always try swapping them and then request the unlock if necessary.

Leave your candy-colored cans in the toy chest and try a pair of proper headphones.
Highlighted
Topics: 573
Solutions: 3,881

@Anonymous wrote:
 I think they send you an unlock code to an O2 sim as I don't think it will recognise the giff gaff mobile number. Any help would be appreciated guys and gals.

They don't send you an unlock code, it is done by unlocking the IMEI via Apple. I'm fairly certain you will have to pay the £15 fee for O2 to unlock it for you. This is obviously taken from the credit on the phone so I would bite the bullet and get a new sim, top it up and fill in the unlock form. Reckon £15 is a very reasonabl fee for the benefit of an unlocked phone.

Highlighted

Trust Apple to be a PITA about things...

Highlighted
Anonymous

Tried this but don't think it will work as it does ask for your mobile number and I've not got the original sim. Think I'll have to buy a new sim and top up. Will try tomorrow. Thanks for your help though.